Clear all

Orchestral Marks

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

When in, an orchestral score say you want a lot of stacatto / stacatissamo and accent notes, instead of marking them and making the music look messy.

What do i mark with text to indicate it to do it from that point, and what do i say to tell the players to stop the accents and stacatto / stacatissamo ?

Thanx!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If the dots bother you, you can just use the word staccato. To 'turn it off' you'd use a different articulation instruction, like legato.

Most musicians are used to seeing dots, though, even if there are a lot of them.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I'd feel more comfortable if I saw a page of notes with dots, especially when sight reading. Just miss one direction and you're playing the wrong thing, but it's hard to miss a bunch of notes with dots over them. It's not so important if you know the piece, but I'd still opt for dots, since they're what I usually see.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok , imagine a few bars in a score, semi-quavers, and rests in it (a lot), in 4/4, and there are all these single stem notes followed by a rest and repeated, and they all have a dot, and an accent mark right above them.

It just looks so messy, but if musicians prefer it.. then i have nothing to worry about :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

If you've got both staccato marks and accents you might put one above as a direction. I'd probably get rid of the accents and write "forceful" or something if I wanted to clear it up. It will help readability if all the note stems are going the same way.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

good idea.

ReplyQuote