Clear all

Order of chords....

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@barney)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

When starting to work on scales and chord formulas I learnt about the order or chords... which to the best of my knowledge runs:

Major Minor Minor Major Dominant Min Min7b5

Now as far as I no this runs in conjunction with the Major scale... so . . . is there a Minor order of chords? If you was to start with say E MIn instead of C Major would it have an arranged order of chords?

Thanks

Barney

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If it's the relative minor, you just take the sequence from the major scale but start at the 6th degree, i.e min, dim, maj, min, min, maj, maj.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@barney)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ahhh sweeeet... cheers for that.

So if I take any minor key, work out what it is the relative minor of.. i have the progression.. most cool!

Cheers

Barney

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Don't relax too soon. As Greybeard hinted "If it's the relative minor" there are other options because of the three forms of the minor scale:

1. The natural minor which shares a key signature with its relative major and follows exactly the chord order given by Greybeard.

2. The harmonic minor (7th degree raised)

3. The melodic minor (6th and 7th degrees raised)

For example, the relative minor of C major is A minor and its 3 forms (natural, harmonic & melodic) produce the chords:
A Min - A min - Amin
Bdim - Bdim - B min
C maj - Caug - c aug
D min - D min - D maj
E min - E maj - E maj
F maj - F maj - F# dim
G maj - G# dim - G# dim

The natural minor's set of chords is the most common choice for use in pop/ rock but you'll also find D maj and E maj very commonly used in most modern types of music.

ReplyQuote
(@barney)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cool... I guess its just remembering to always build the notes in third intervals to work out the chord progression... i.e. the B Chord for exmaple is Diminished in both the Relative and Harmonic minor scales but when the introduction of the F# comes along in the melodic minor scale this makes it a minor chord - its 5th note (F) is raised up to F#.....am I getting that right?

Thanks

Barney

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

the B Chord for exmaple is Diminished in both the Relative and Harmonic minor scales but when the introduction of the F# comes along in the melodic minor scale this makes it a minor chord - its 5th note (F) is raised up to F#.....am I getting that right?

Sounds like you've nailed it Barney :) In practice it means the three forms of the minor scale combine to offer more note and chord choices than the major scale.

ReplyQuote
(@barney)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Fretsource... im sure I will think of something else to put your way soon enough.

This site is brilliant by the way.... glad i discovered it! :D

Cheers

Barney

ReplyQuote