Clear all

professional guitarist

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@screaminside)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

1st i need a plan or some advices about how to practise daily and how much time to practice and how to cut the time of practicing into parts and how to arrange it >>>>> in details please

can i learn music theory on the internet without studying it in some college or academy for music

how much time it needs to be a good guitar player

and is there any differences between a metal guitar player and other genres like jazz or other
is there one has more skills than the others

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

and is there any differences between a metal guitar player and other genres like jazz or other
is there one has more skills than the others

Yes.
A metal guitarist plays three chords & a thousand people listen, whereas a jazz guitarist plays a thousand chords & three people listen... :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist - I've been waiting to use that one!

Both Jazz & Metal guitarists are extremely skilled. I don't know how one could be put ahead of the other. A metal head may possess more speed/sweep skills for example, while a jazz guitarist may be all over the neck with chords and fingerpicking style. You could also make the argument that Metal is Jazz that is "speeded up"; I saw that reference on another forum once.

That might be a slight stretch, but as you probably know, a lot of metal styles incorporate classical phrasing. Yngwie Malmsteen,for example.

As for your other questions; all good ones, & I am sure many others will chime in with their observations. I will address this one; "how much time it needs to be a good guitar player..." well, that is a difficult question to answer, because we are all so vastly different in our skill set, adaptability to new experiences, the learning curve, physical situations and more.

You get the idea. There are so many variables that there really is no correct answer to this one. Best advice is to practice regular daily, do not skip days if you can avoid it. Make it fun. Don't obsess over a certain lick or phrase if it will not come right away, go on to something else & then come back to the difficult one at a later time.

Hope that helps a bit!

Welcome to GN! :)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'd say metal is more like classical speeded up - in fact, the Great Kat has done exactly that, playing Beethoven and others verbatim at 3-4x the original speed. And while some genres of metal may not be tonal (as most classical music is), very little metal modulates through keys - most jazz, at least bebop and later, has one or more modulations.

Different genres emphasize different skills. Metal puts a premium on speed, math rock puts it on syncopated rhythms, bebop values arpeggios, etc. So you need to figure out what you want to do professionally - performing? studio work? teaching? Do you want to do one thing exclusively, or will you also be songwriting, arranging, and maybe doing instrument repairs? The more you specialize, the better you'll be at what you do.... the more you generalize, the better the odds that you can cobble together a living.

Yes, you can learn music theory without going to college for it, BUT you need to realize a few things: first, college doesn't teach theory by itself. The course catalog may say it does, and you'll probably get a separate grade for theory. But all music colleges teach theory as part of a core curriculum that includes ear training, keyboard skills, and music history. IMO that helps a lot - the best way to understand theory is to see how it developed in context with the music of each period.

Second, realize that a college theory curriculum goes beyond basic theory. You'll also learn counterpoint, harmony, and form & analysis. There's a lot of basic theory stuff on the web, but there also seems to be a big gap - you can find graduate-level discussions on analysis, but you won't find much in the way of counterpoint tutorials.

Third, there's some theory stuff on the internet that's just plain wrong. A lot of what's wrong is geared to the guitar. So caveat emptor.

How long? Depends on you... how hard you work at it, how much natural ability you have, and what you learn. Jazz educator Hal Crook outlines the stages of musical development this way:

Beginner - developing accuracy in playing and some musicality, 0-6 years experience
Intermediate - improving accuracy and musicality, 6-12 years experience
Advanced - improving musicality and creativity, 12-18 years experience
Master - has command of musicality, creativity, and originality in playing, 18+ years experience

(He breaks each of those down into sub-groups, and puts "advanced master" at 30+ years)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@screaminside)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thank you for your fast reply katmetal and noteboat

but my questions about advices for practicing is how to practice daily i mean in details for example do scales for 10 or 15 minutes and learn a new song i dont know you tell me the best practicing way in detail and how both of you kat metal and notboat practiced while you were learning and any one can add his way too

another question here

Beginner - developing accuracy in playing and some musicality, 0-6 years experience
Intermediate - improving accuracy and musicality, 6-12 years experience
Advanced - improving musicality and creativity, 12-18 years experience
Master - has command of musicality, creativity, and originality in playing, 18+ years experience

(He breaks each of those down into sub-groups, and puts "advanced master" at 30+ years)

how there are bands have very good guitar players and they are formed from only six years or 10 years and can a beginner or an intermediate level guitarist be a member in a band >>>good band

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No one method works for all people. No one method works for one person throughout their development as a musician.

Since you still haven't said what you want to do professionally, it's hard to say what skills you should develop. Without knowing what skills you need, creating a practice plan is a waste of time - seriously. You have to ask the right questions first.

WHAT do you want to do? "Professional guitarist" isn't the answer. That's like saying you want to be a "professional athlete", and asking what your workouts should be. The answer that's right for a soccer player will ruin a boxer, and vice versa. I listed a few options for what fields professional guitarists work in; you need to settle on what you want to do.

Then ask what skills you need for that work. As a basic list, for just about any type of pro needs the ability to play the chords required by your style, the ability to improvise in your style(s), and enough theory to communicate with the other musicians. If you're going to teach, you should also learn to read standard notation. If you're going to do studio work, you'll need to sight read standard notation, and play convincingly in any style a producer might ask for. Lots of styles call for other specific techniques: sweep picking, hybrid picking, right hand tapping, etc. But you shouldn't practice what you don't need - at least, not until you've got the chops that you DO need.

Then measure where you are now against the skills you need. Without doing that, any generic practice plan will have you spending too much time reviewing the things you can already do, and not enough time learning the other skills you need.

IMO anybody who blindly follows someone else's practice plan will not get the results they expect.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@screaminside)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok i understand you
professionally i wanna be metal band member
then i have to work on practicing metal techniques

thank you and if you have an answer for my second question above i am waiting for your answer

thank you again

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

how there are bands have very good guitar players and they are formed from only six years or 10 years and can a beginner or an intermediate level guitarist be a member in a band >>>good band

If you narrow your focus, ignoring other styles, and techniques, then it can take less time.
But doing that will make you a "one trick pony".

For instance, if you learn only 3 chords, and practice only that for 2-3 years then you would be "good", but only at a very limited range of skills.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote