Clear all

Putting it all together

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dduckett)
Topic starter  

Hey,
My name is David, and I am new to guitarnoise :-) As for my experience I have been playing guitar for a few years now, and I play a variety of music just whatever makes me better, and I LOVE THEORY! Now that I have introduced myself I wanted to say that I understand my scales very well, and how chords are constructed, but I haven't memorized the notes on the fretboard or anything. This makes me feel very limited to one space, and I have seen how you can move barred chord forms up the fretboard, and stay in the same key, but as for the single notes which I'd like to throw in... I lose myself as to what notes are in the same key. It's hard for me to see this "fretboard pattern" of all the scales that runs up to the neck. Am I looking at this subject correctly? And does anyone have any tips for coming up with understanding what notes fit with what your playing.

(@alex_)
Honorable Member

from my opinion, looking at it totally wrong...

dont think off fretboard patterns overlapped, its a nightmare and you will get so confused... memorize the notes of a scale, and know the notes on the fretboard, and then you can link a note you wanna play of were it is..

what i do, is when im playing something (that covers a lot of the fretboard) i stop suddenly, and look what note im on... and then do it again.. (long intervals between stopping)..

then you get that one down and when you need to know another you can build on that, its never ever a case of starting from the 1st fret..

Like if i didnt know 16th on high e (well, low e too lol)..

I allready know 17 is A, so 16 is Ab/G#... and then when you do it enough times youve got nearly all, a bit more time and you'll know it inside out.

ReplyQuote
(@dduckett)
Topic starter  

I see... man that'll take a while lol, but thanks for the response man :-)

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The problem of working with "box shapes" is just that - you work with box shapes.
Learn two adjacent box shapes, then practice moving around that entire space, in one unit.
When you're happy, add another box and do the same. You'll end up with a whole neck full of notes and no boxes - it's called "thinking out of the box" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I really don't think you can be a good guitarist and not know the fretboard. Learn where those notes are and then you can link them to your scales and you'll be well on your way to really mastering the instrument.

There's no good shortcuts here, it's just putting in the time to learn it.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote