Clear all

Question about harmony

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok so lets say I am doing an E to an Am to a G to a C to a B to an Am back to E, O_O.

Ok E to Am is okay, but then G isnt even in the E major scale, would this progression be in the key of E minor even if the main chord is an E major or is that G a borrowed note from the A scale ?

Come to think of it, C isnt in E major scale either O_O.

So are these two chords just like borrowed from the key of A minor or something ?

Oh and also, if Im playing in a song with an E major chord, can I use an E minor chord later in the song ?? O_O

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh and also, if Im playing in a song with an E major chord, can I use an E minor chord later in the song ?? O_O
If it sounds good there.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Could it be that you're actually playing in Am?

In Aminor, harmonising the Aeolian scale (or Natural scale) gives you the same chords as you'd find harmonising the C major scale - both scales have the same notes. This explains your Am, C, and G. Since E is chord V of A (and chord V of Aminor) it isn't unusual to find this chord played as an Emajor and not Eminor (or to find the use of both Eminor and Emajor in the same piece*).

Now, all you've got to explain is the Bmajor chord. But this occurs in a descending chromatic passage - the C-B-Amin bit, and you can use chords from outside the scale when moving chromatically. So that could explain your rogue Bmajor chord.

The fact that you start and end on E doesn't mean you're definitely playing in the key of E - many songs will start and/or end on a chord that isn't the tonic (chord I) of the kay they're in.

David Hodge has a lesson on harmonising the minor scales, looking at the Aeolian, Natural, and Melodic minor scales on the GN mainpage. I wish I could remember what it's called, but it's really clear and thorough, and well worth a look if you're unsure about how harmonise in minor keys.

* You could also, of course, always use E minor later in the piece by modulating to a key which has E minor in it. As Ricochet says, if it sounds good, go for it!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote