Clear all

sight reading

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@woekitten)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

my question is about how to train yourself to read sight reading instead of tab. i already know how to sight read, but tab is alot easier because sight reading demands you to figure out which string to play, and which fret, and how to make it playable. i want to learn how to sight read as well as tab.

so how do you apply sight reading to guitar?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's a matter of practice, really.

Where on the neck you play something depends on the range of the section - in any one position, the guitar has a span of just over two octaves. Since it's only the first four frets of the sixth string, and the last four frets of the first string, that can only be played in one place, those are the first clues. Anything with ledger lines might narrow playable positions to just one or two choices.

Some music, particularly classical, will indicate a position number, usually with a roman numeral over the staff... or it may just say something like "7th position".

Start out by reading in open position - the E below the third ledger line beneath the staff through the G (or A) above the staff. Once you're comfortable finding the open position notes, the real trick is to deal with the flexibility of the instrument - most notes can be played in 2-3 positions easily, some in as many as 5.

I start approaching this flexibility with the B note (third staff line) - it's the only note that can be played in two places in open position. Try playing through the same piece using the 3rd string, 4th fret... then on the repeat, use the 2nd string open.

Next I tackle second position - here you have the ability to use open strings, but you can also duplicate the notes at the 4th or 5th fret. The only letter named notes you can't reach without a stretch are the F notes at the 1st fret, so I pick pieces in G or D for students to use here... same method, first with open notes, then with the 4th/5th fret alternatives.

So that's the general method... then the secret is to practice a lot. There are some good study books, like Filberto's "Position Studies" or White's "Sight to Sound", or Tedesco's "Styles for the Studio" that give you a lot of reading material under one cover to practice with (of those, Filberto's is the best for beginners - although White takes a slightly different approach, and teaches all positions with whole notes to start out, leaving rhythmic values for later on, so if rhythm is an issue you might like that better).

You can also find great material in fake books - they usually have hundreds of pieces with melody lines written out. Since a lot of music can be played in multiple positions, you might play a melody at first position, then fifth, then eighth - whatever the range will allow.

Guitar is a tough instrument for sight reading, but if you're disciplined and logical, it's far from impossible. Oh, and like all instruments, tackle keys in order of the accidentals in the key signature - don't try pieces in B or Eb until you've done those with fewer accidentals.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote