Chord sub?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sozay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello,

I'm trying to do up an article/lesson using miss misery by elliott smith.
Principally the song is in Dm (verses Dm, Cadd9, Bb, F, Bbmaj7/F etc chorus similar)

In the first bridge the following sequence is used
Ab, Cm, F, Dbmaj7, Ab, C This seems to be using chords from Fminor (F and C chords aside), which is a pretty common substitution.
However im at a loss for how to explain what going on in the second 'bridge' section, which runs
D,C,Bb,Bb,F,F,G7,G7,Bb,Bb,C,C#dim
I realise the c#dim is used simply to lead into the Dm to start the next verse but what is going on in the bridge...

sorry if this question is a bit vague, hopefully someone can decypher what im getting at...

thanks
sozay

currently number 60 in total posts... and shooting for number 1!!

(@alangreen)

Hiya,

Well, it looks like it's cycling though keys without settling anywhere.

D -> C is V -> IV in G
C -> Bb is V -> IV in F
Bb -> F is IV -> I in F and I -> V in Bb
F -> G7 is IV to V in C
G7 -> Bb pivots around D (5th in G7 and 3rd in Bb). This hints at Dm again.
Bb -> C is IV -> V in F
C -> C#dim suggests a key change but if it resolves back to the key of Dm then it's a fake. It's not a particularly clever fake - normally the chord after the X#dim would be the ii chord of the new key and lead to a ii-V-I resolution. So, using Dm next, I'd expect it to resolve to C via G7.

Presumably, it sounds ok, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sozay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Alan,

just on the last part, the use of the c#dim, isnt that pretty much equivalent to using an A(7) to lead back to the dm, which is a fairly common movement (and is used in the verses V -> i)

Thanks again,
sozay

currently number 60 in total posts... and shooting for number 1!!

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

just on the last part, the use of the c#dim, isnt that pretty much equivalent to using an A(7) to lead back to the dm, which is a fairly common movement (and is used in the verses V -> i)

Yes, the C#dim contains the notes C#-E-G, while A7 is A-C#-E-G. The two can substitute for each other and will lead the ear back to D or Dm, reestablishing key after modulating all over the place.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote