0 Likes
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

what is 12TET?

ReplyQuote
(@serickso)
Trusted Member

12TET is 12 tone equal temperament (the current western tempered chromatic scale).

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Wow, lot's of good info coming in here.  I think I am going to mess around with this serialism - how do I write a harmony for it?  Maybe if each set of three notes were all in the same scale.  I'll have to play around with it, although it might be a crazy chord progression.  All of the enthnomusicology is really interesting.  I would make up my own scale, maybe 13 notes just to be odd and difficult and some what illogical.  But I'll never get to use it and I don't have a piano I could tune in a crazy way.  I'll have to wrie theoretical music and I will develop my own harmony and then pass noteboat a drink while trying to explain it to him.

One last thing, Alex, I think we would all like to know how your composition turns out.  Good luck with it!

purple

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

How to harmonize serial music is quite the problem for composers, and there aren't any set rules that are agreed upon as yet, almost a century after Schoenberg.  To quote from Piston's Harmony:

The decline of nineteenth century common practice was not followed by a twentieth-century one, or even by several, but more like dozens of practices which could be said to have some kind of acceptance at one time or another, and which in many cases overlapped.

The road's open for you to lead the way for the rest of us, Purple :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

hmm... Barring some unfortunate accident, I only have 50 years left to live.  I better hurry up and get to work!

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2