Clear all

Suggestions for a Pentatonic Book?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Any help here would be great. I am looking for a good book that really explores the pentatonic scales. Does anyone have or know of anything good?

(@Anonymous)

I have the Gig Bag Book of Practical Pentatonics for All Guitarists which I like a lot! Or you could check out THESE at Amazon.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I don't get it. A pentatonic book!?!? Isn't that like:

A-H ... The First 10 Letters ... An In Depth Primer!

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

5/12 is roughly the same as 10/26.

Well, 11 would have been closer.

But I was a little quick in mocking. I see the book is mostly not about the scales themselves, but about their applications.

Still seems a weird way to restrict yourself, IMO. But then, I've never been big on pentatonic scales. I don't improvise and I don't solo. Not without careful forethought and planning.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Doesn't matter that the ratios are the same, 'penta' means five. A to E :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I forget what its called, but its by Aksold Buk..."Pentatonic lick for guitar...." Not sure, but do a Amazon search. Great reference book, I'll post the name when I get home

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Matty-

No hits on Amazon for that name. I would appreciate you giving me the name of the book, when you get home.

hreim - I am interested in the application and uses of the pentatonic scale.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

It's called "Practical Pentatonics" by Aksold Buk. It may be out of print, look around for it. My copy is very thin and tall, like a large brochure. Probably 7" x 13"? It has a red Gibson Firebird on the cover, but that may have changed if it is still in print.

Aksold Buk writes occasionally for guitar world, and is one of those awesome players who never got massive recognition. Good book.

Let me know if you want more info, I'll do my best.

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote