Clear all

Sus2 Sus4

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jocko)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Could someone please explain sus2 and sus4 chords to me? Is it just a case of replacing the III with a II for sus2 and a IV for sus4? Or is that too simplistic? My Bible of chords doesn't show sus chords at all.

45 years playing and still rubbish.

(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Yes that is how simple it is. CMajor = C E G Csus 2 = C D G Csus4 = C F G where D = II of C Major scale, F = IV of C Major scale.

For fingerings just search for chords on google there are alot of different fingerings.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

People sometimes argue about whether there should be a sus2 chord designation, saying that there are only "suspended chords" which are the sus4 sort, and that the 2 should be considered a ninth, but if you use the 2 instead of the 3 as a suspension it works that way.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'm happy to see the sus2 definition, it does what it sets out to do, methinks. Both the sus2 and the sus4 refer to a controlled dissonance within a chord, and both of them require resolution. The sus4 version resolves to the standard major chord, so the 4th resolves to a 3rd, and the sus2 can either resolve to the tonic (producing a power chord) or the 3rd (producing the major chord again).

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote