Clear all

Test of Nick's GN theory menu

28 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

could be you have java apps blocked in your security settings.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I'm pretty sure that's caused by Javalessness. Windows doesn't come with Java does it?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

wait a sec, which lawsuit was that? Yep, you are probably right.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

could be you have java apps blocked in your security settings.

Could be. But if so it was not deliberately blocked by me. Perhaps it was one of the default security settings in either one of the Windows security update patches or maybe in my firewall?

Everything else I use works fine. With all the general carry on about Windows security, or lack thereof, I've become fairly reluctant to change settings, (or install new bits and pieces) unless I have a definite need to do so.

This is not in any way a big deal, so please don't think I'm knocking your choice. I'm just saying that perhaps Paul has a point. If I can't see it with a bog standard installation then that may be the case for others too.

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm pretty sure that's caused by Javalessness. Windows doesn't come with Java does it?

A quick google of Windows XP and Java just revealed a whole heap of stuff about lawsuits between Sun Microsystems and Microsoft.

Including various versions of this kind of stuff
The Microsoft Java Virtual machine was available through the original version of Service Pack 1 for Windows XP that was released on 9th September 2002. If you downloaded Service Pack 1 before February 3, 2003 or have an integrated install of Windows XP with SP1 from before February 3, 2003 you should already have build 3805 of the Microsoft JVM on your system. Microsoft has since been made to create Service Pack 1a that does not include any JVM, and cannot include it in later Service Packs. However if you already have Java installed and upgrade to a later Service Pack it will not be removed.

In technical terms Microsoft's version of Java is now extremely old (Supporting Java up to v1.1) and may have compatibility issues running code that takes advantage of features Sun have added in later versions of their Java Runtime Environment. Unless you need the Microsoft version for compatibility with code that uses proprietary Microsoft Java extensions you should download the Sun version.

Not being a Java expert, (and not really having the time or interest in becoming one) I don't actually know if that's relevant to this discussion or not. :? But it seems to suggest that there might be others in the same boat.

It seems a shame, but it looks as if Nick's page might be unwittingly caught in another of Microsoft's battles.

After 20 years of owning and working with PCs, (and over ten years building my own), I've just about had enough of Mr Gates and his overblown OS and bullying ways.

When I can summon up the time and enthusiasm I might trot off to the Apple shop, or else put another Linux box together. On second thoughts ignore the Linux idea, I think I've already had my fair share of Linux fun. :)

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Whether Java is installed or not, will largely depend on your browser.

Up to Internet Explorer Version 5.x, there was a JVM bundled in the installation. When IE 6 was released, MS unbundled Java and made it an extra download (they wanted to force users into using MS technology, such as .NET).

All the independent browsers (that I've worked with, anyway) offer Java as part of the installation, either by installing a JRE or linking into an existing installation.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Thanks for the info Greybeard.

But isn't I.E.6 still the most widely used browser among us unwashed masses?

Reading that info in quotes above it, would seem that at one time I too had Java installed. But as my current machine has a recent Service pack at the bottom of the endess update pile I apparently now haven't got Java.

As the whole Service pack/security thing is being pushed pretty hard these days I imagine there would be quite a few people now in the same position, so Nick's Java may be unwittingly limiting his audience.

I believe that many computer enthusiasts are now using one of the freely available alternatives, but these forums are not really directed at that demographic (always wanted an excuse to work that word in somewhere :wink: ). So I would think that quite a few of us might have I.E.6 still chugging away. And a lot of the younger members here probably just have whatever was on the family machine when Dad and Mum bought it.

Anyway, after my Googling I now have a couple of alternatives. I can follow the Sun, or I can walk across the room and fire up my wife's old Windows 98 machine. It seemed to work OK when I tried that. :D

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It comes up for me just fine, but doesn't work because new windows are seen as "pop-ups" instead of a requested window.

I'm pretty sure this is a problem in the coding of the app, as other sites that use java menus will open up new windows just fine with my security settings.

For the record, I'm using Firefox 1.0.4 on Windows XP. Pop ups are blocked and java and javascript are both enabled.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll look at it.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Very, very cool. :D I just emailed myself the link. Nick, ever thought about gettin' some sleep? :shock: Oh, wait, what the heck am I thinkin'. Scratch that. Start pounding expresso twice an hour and keep us happy!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

That's a cool idea, but Java seems like a strange choice.

Yes it didn't loaded on my pc :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

What browser and operating system?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Windows 98 SE , Microsoft Explorer 6

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2