theory books?

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 chad
(@chad)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i'm looking for a good book to start moving on in guitar theory land? i'm pretty much sittin at basic theory right now know some scales and chords and a few progressions, so i was just wondering what books you guy's would reccommend to move on with?

chad

(@alex_)
Honorable Member

The Complete Guitarist - Richard Chapman..

best theory book centered around the guitar i have ever read.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Also consider

and
by our own Noteboat! (and then you can ask the author questions in this forum!)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I purchased all 3 of the aforementioned theory books and recommend them all. The Chapman book is good in that it covers lots of things but not in massive detail. The Serb book is one that I think should be read first then go on to those others. I misplaced that book and even bought another one because I thought it was worth that much for the reference.

If you have the money buy them in this order:

Music Theory

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0972472304/qid=1097007313/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7878462-3255860?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

The Complete Guitarist

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1564587118/qid=1097007365/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_2_2/103-7878462-3255860

Fretboard Logic SE

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0962477060/qid=1097007426/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_2_1/103-7878462-3255860

I'll also add that I'm a fairly intelligent chap but got utterly swamped by the third book. Maybe it's the pints of beer or hatred of scales. Either way, I'd say work your way up to that book.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Oh yea, I have another tip. When you get a reference book take it over to your local copy shop (like Kinko's) and have them cut the spine off and spiral bind your book. That way it can open up and lay flat on a desk or music stand. I do that with every guitar book I have. Yea, it's maybe $4 but it save you from the aggravation of the book not staying open. Just a thought. :roll:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member

I'm going to recommend my book PlaneTalk - The Truly Totally Different Guitar Instruction Book, which Nick is going to review here soon ... I hope.

http://www.thatllteachyou.com/ is where to find out more.

Kirk

Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I have Noteboat's book and recommend it as well. I also have "The Complete Guitarist" but personally I find it to be rather confusing in a lot of areas. The book looks very polished and there is good info in there but, having read theory from several sources, I would NOT recommend it as the first book you read on theory. Just my opinion.

I haven't read Fretboard Logic but I hear it mentioned quite often. I'd suggest looking at these recommendations at your local library, bookstore, or music shop before buying.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

Guitar secrets is very good as well. http://www.guitarsecrets.com

:D

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Does anybody remember a book from the early 80's called, "10". I think it was produced by Guitar Player mag (not certain), and had 10 guitarists talk about their perception of playing guitar. It had Eddie VH & Robben Ford (+ 8 others that I cannot remember who).

It wasn't so much a theory book, but they did talk about their playing and gave some insight. Not the greatest book around, but I was wondering if anybody remembered it.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller? :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I have a copy. It was published by GIT in 1982.

The ten were:

Larry Carlton
Joe Pass
Tommy Tedesco
Joe Diorio
Ron Eschete
Don Mock
Robben Ford
Les Wise
Jay Graydon
Eddie Van Halen

And there was an eleventh chapter by Howard Roberts, but I guess 'Ten' sounded better.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mp173)
Eminent Member

Corbind:

I agree with you on the Fretboard Logic book. I just couldnt make anything out of it. That was three years ago, perhaps now it would work.

Music Theory for Guitar is a pretty good book to have around. Tom's detailed explanations here on GN leads to the next question....Tom, is there another book on the way? Hope so.

Ed

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm making notes on several more... have detailed outlines on a couple, and one half written (Scales for Six Strings) that Dennis - Corbind here - has been proofreading for me as I write it. He's a good guy offline too, and I think a better guitarist than he lets on here :)

I'm just trying to balance gigging, teaching, and writing... and oh yeah, I was lazy this summer :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mp173)
Eminent Member

Yeah, he is a pretty good player. I met him at David's a couple of years ago and he held his own. His organization skills are great! He had charts for everything. Unfortunately, I lost mine.

Tom, keep up the good work. I keep looking for something that ties it all together for what I do. I use your book plus several others. I easily get sidetracked. The really neat thing about learning guitar is the journey probably never ends. Or at least I cant see myself getting to the finish line anytime soon.

ed

ReplyQuote