Transposing Chord Ruler

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

A few days ago, I was trying to play Elton John's "Someone saved my life tonight". The chords I got from from this great site for Elton John's Music: http://www.eltonchords.com/ . However the chord chart is in the Key of Ab, most probably meant for a piano.

So I tried learning this chords on the guitar and it's pretty much impossible to play these chords.

After a couple of days of frustration, needlessly I gave up on learning the song. Until I read somewhere on this site about transposing keys to be able to play in your vocal range.

So I did a search and found this handy Chord Ruler that you print out make. Chris Gilling made the original chart, but Wee-Meng Lee made this pdf that you can download and print and cutout into the chart.

http://leewm.freeshell.org/origami/chord-ruler.pdf

So I transposed the song into the key of C, and now I can at play it. Great tool to have.

(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Handy little slide rule...thanks for posting the link :)

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've put together something similar in Flash: Key Chords and Transposition Tool. There are some things on the paper version that aren't on mine, and some things on mine that aren't on the paper version, but you might still find it worth a bookmark :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey ChordsAndScales,

That's really cool thanks for the link.

ReplyQuote
(@losodo)
Eminent Member

Nice. Both the PDF and the Flash app are nifty, hehe. 8)

EDIT: Thanks.

First I bought it, then I paid for it.

ReplyQuote