6 Users
0 Likes
(@combs)
Eminent Member

Lay out a two octave scale, and number the notes:

Code:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15
C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D- E- F- G- A- B- C

That tells you what the number part is... a 2nd interval is the root (1) and the second (2). A 9th is 1 & 9; an 11th chord is going to have 11 in it, and so on.

Then you've got the 'major' and 'minor' part. Those mean a couple different things...

If you're looking at a chord, 'major' means you're using the 3. If it's a 'major' 7th, you're also using 7. 'Minor' means you're using a lowered third (b3), and if you see 7 without a 'major', you're using the lowered 7th (b7)

If you're looking at an interval, here's what they mean:

Major = the upper note is in the scale of the lower, but not the other way around

Minor = the lower note is in the scale of the upper, but not the other way around

Perfect = both notes are in both scales

I am trying to get my head around this. If I was to use the note C and look at the 6th interval I am surmising that my lower note is C and my upper note is A, and that I am talking major scale. That is C D E F G A... and so on. A is obviosly in the scale of C, but C is not in the scale of A (C# is). Therefore the 6th interval would be 6th major.

Is this a correct assumption?

Do you always use the major scales when making this determination?

Am I completely missing the point?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, you've got the correct assumption.

Lower note = C, upper note = A. Upper note is in the scale of the lower note, so it's either major or perfect.

Then reverse it - C is not in the scale of A; since it doesn't work both ways, it isn't perfect... which means it must be major.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2