When is a chord not a chord ?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been experimenting with alternate tunings lately (this isn't really an alternative tuning question), in fact the last 2 songs I have written are in an alternative tuning. What's interesting is that I find I can get some nice sounds but when I go to notate the song I find that sometimes I can't name the “note configuration” as a chord, maybe because it isn't one or because I just don't get it. For example the song “Hard Sell”
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=328886
is in the tuning of Open G with the capo on the 2nd fret, Open A (EAEAC#A). The verses have the following 3 “chords”.

X = 004030 i.e. EAG#AEE
Y = 002010 i.e. EAF#ADE
Z = 000000 i.e. EAEAC#A

I believe the Y = Dadd9 and Z = A but what is the name of “chord” X ? Is it even a chord ?. BTW when I play the base line to this I play E,D,A so I'm thinking that X is some variant of E.

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

X looks like an E11 variant to me. (No seventh or ninth.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The first one looks like Amaj7 without the third....or Eadd11 without the fifth. The E bass note works for this because of all the other E's in it!

The second one's Dadd9 - D root, F# 3rd, A fifth, E 9th. For it to be D9, you'd need the flat 7th as well. It's also tabbed a lot
as Asus4/6, but I'm very wary of suspended chords these days unless they're sus4s!

And the last one's obviously A......

By the way, PBee, you might want to look at the tab of "Shelter From The Storm" in Easy songs - very similar to the chords you're using here, although Mattguitar's tabbed that one in open D, so you'd have to move everything across one fret.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys,
I was thinking along the lines of Eadd11 but stumbled over the fact that the 5th is missing and wondered how you would notate that. Vic thanks for the heads up on the Easy Song database I'll have a look

Cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote