Clear all

Feelin' Alright

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jesterpoet)
Topic starter  

Howdy all!

I've been hesitating to post this question because I'm not sure I can word it correctly, but I'm going to give it a try.

Since this is the first song without a linked MP3, I guess it's harder for me because I can't just sound out what I need to do. When I get to this section:

Feelin' Alright

What I particularly like about this song is how you can do so many things with it simply from a rhythm stand point. You can play it straight ahead folk, using the same stumming patterns we learned in "Horse With No Name." You can also give it a percussive strumming pattern, like we used in "For What It's Worth" or even more of a driving rhythm. A "one and a two and a three...four and a one..." sort of deal.

But you can also use it to see how easy it is to get a full rhythm just by picking individual notes, accented by the occasional chord. In order to demonstrate this, I want to settle on one rhythm patten for the time being. This is one I like, which somewhat inspired by the Joe Cocker version of this song. Here I've just written out the rhythm as a succession of B notes because (yet again) I have not figured out how to get this software to do everything I want it to:

I get lost. The article suggests picking a few notes and strumming the occasional chord, but I'm not really sure how to figure out what notes to pick, or really what rhythm to use (though I think I could get the rhythm with what little I understand of tempo and some practice).

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious (particularly since I haven't seen anyone else post a question about this song), but I just can't seem to figure it out. If anyone can decipher what I'm trying to say and help me out, I'd appreciate it a ton!

Thanks in advance!

Todd

(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi todd the song could be played with a quite simple sixteen notes rhythm like this (each slash mark a different beat):

bb/ddu/bb/ddu

David suggests a bit more difficult rhythm which involves dotted eight notes and a hammer-on

bb/dud/b/d..u

anyway my suggestion is to get a feel for the first rhythm and use it to play along with the cd and then when you'll be confident try to nail down David more articulate playing

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member

FYI, I posted a fingerpicking version of this song in the Easy Songs Forum, based on the chords, alternative voicings and a couple of fills used in David's lesson. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35571

Kind of fun to play.

Shug

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote
(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member

Ok, before I get to the question, just a couple of comments.

1. The layout of this forum section with a thread for each song - brilliant!
2. Having Itunes open in the other window so I can play along with the original great! Having two monitors on my desk even better. Small things in life make all the difference sometimes.

So, I was going to play (ok, TRY to play) along with "Feelin' Alright", so I went to Itunes. I have four copies; Dave Mason, Traffic, Freddie King, and Joe Cocker. Dave being my least favored, and Cocker being my favorite, but none of them sound right in the chords indicated in the lesson; E and A. Or as alternatively noted E7 and A7. (For that matter, every A I play is an A7 due to chubby fingers that won't fit 3 abreast)

Now I did note elsewhere that some were using a capo on the 4th. Will that fix it? It does not mention it in the lesson.

Thanks,
F/B in beautiful Wentzville, MO

Note to self: You said you were going to get a capo at the store today and you forgot so you can't just try it today.

ReplyQuote