Notifications
Clear all

Fire

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sue-donym)
Topic starter  

What pattern should I use to pick the repeating bassline? It seems like picking at random throws off my rhythm and I was kinda hoping to use this song as an intro to singing along while playing.

Thanks

(@sue-donym)
Topic starter  

got it. nevermind.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Sue,
I don't know the song. But it might be great for others if you posted what it was that helped you get it.
Thanks.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@sue-donym)
Topic starter  

I decided on picking with the beat.. up on up beats and down on down beats. It's simple because it matches the pattern that my foot is patting (out of habit).

So the repeating rhythym in this song is :

D-u-d-U D-U-D-u

d-U-d-U-D-U-D-u

Where D= is the down beat
and U= is the up beat
And bold capital letters indicate when to pick & direction of picking

I've read about picking this way and keeping your hand moving on the up and down beats even when you aren't hitting the strings... It's starting to sink in now :) (but my hand still flies all over the place when I try to sing along!)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)
Thanks!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Eliot1c asks:
Hi, Are there any mp3 files for FIRE , it would make it much easier for me to learn

Thanks

David answers:
Not yet. Hopefully soon.

Peace

Please remember to avoid duplicate threads on lessons. Thanks.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

My bad, Tim.

Sorry.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

I decided on picking with the beat.. up on up beats and down on down beats. It's simple because it matches the pattern that my foot is patting (out of habit).

So the repeating rhythym in this song is :

D-u-d-U D-U-D-u

d-U-d-U-D-U-D-u

Where D= is the down beat
and U= is the up beat
And bold capital letters indicate when to pick & direction of picking

I've read about picking this way and keeping your hand moving on the up and down beats even when you aren't hitting the strings... It's starting to sink in now :) (but my hand still flies all over the place when I try to sing along!)

hi sue I've tried it a couple of times and i find it not so easy by the way. regarding the pattern I'm using the same you suggested

d/u/du/d

u/u/du/d

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hello all

two things:

first I've finally made to play it quite well at 100 bpm, even if can not play it alongside the record (I've got a live version that's faster, around 120-130 bpm);

secondarily I saw a Bruce springsteen book and it listed totally different chords (may be it was in the key of A do not remember). Has David changed the key to make it simpler for us to learn it?

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5PoIrcyd34

This should get everybody goin' with the bass line.
There's another vid of Bruce doin' Fire w/the E Street Band from '84.

It appears to be in the key of G.

Neither are as good as Robert Gordon's version. That's pretty much the version I hear in my head when I play this song.
(Along with the Pointer Sisters)

I heard that Bruce wrote it as a rock-a-billy song for Gordon and his Power Chord Crazy guitarist - Link Wray!!!!
I have their version on vinyl - I stumbled onto Link Wray's sound (before it was rediscovered on Pulp Fiction)
And there were NO cd's of him available at that time.
The only thing I could find with him at all was the stuff he did with Robert Gordon - Bonus for me I guess :D

Enjoy - This is a fun song to play.
I like doing it as a duet with a girl, spliting the lyrics.

girl - I was drivin in your car
me - you turned on the radio
girl - you're pullin' me closer
me - you just say no
ETC.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

OK for what it's worth - oh oops that's another song :lol: - here is my cover of Fire. I learned this one in the first few months of picking up the guitar, which wasn't that long ago, so the learning process is still pretty fresh in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Uvn_W5Pow

The biggest trouble for me came with switching smoothly from Em to Am but also with the rhythm in the bridge, which is not as familiar as the verse melody. So I thought this video might help; it is my take (as another beginner) on Lesson #19.

I have a prob bad habit of planting my fingers down one at a time for the C chord and playing it as an arpeggio but it works OK in this song (and a lot of others actually).

I fluff up the end of the bridge just a little... so D - D6 (take your finger off the B string) - D7 and then (hopefully having remembered to anchor the pinky on the high F# [2nd fret of high E string] when switching to D7) pick the first few notes of the last verse ("Romeo and Juliet.....) building up tension a la The Boss, slide up to G and then strum the G chord without missing a beat. Hopefully this comes thru on the video.

Cheers!

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote