Heart Of Gold

47 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
48.5 K Views
(@nucleus)
Topic starter  

Hi David,

first of all I want to thank you for your great "Easy song for Beginners" lessons.

I'm currently working on 'Heart Of Gold' and have two questions:

1. I have problems with the transition from the last Em chord in the intro to the Cmaj chord in the verse. I think  you play some additional notes (Example #1B - hog4.mp3) before you move to the Cmaj chord, but I can't figure it out.

2. Also you play a different version of the chorus in  Example #1B - hog4.mp3) when moving from the last Gmaj chord back to the Em chord during the first repeat. I really like this version, but I'm not able to recreate it.

Could you please help me with this?

Apart from that I can't wait for your next lessons (how about 'Serenade' from the Steve Miller Band for the Easy Song section?).

An impatient  ;)

Uwe

(@davidhodge)

Hi Uwe

This is embarrassing to say, but on my present computer set up, I can't hear any of the MP3s! That being said, I think I can guess what I did. Chances are that I ended the measures with a pair of sixteenth notes in a down-and-up stroke. This happens because I'm keeping my hand moving up and down with the rhythm and sometimes catch the strings. Give that a try and let me know if it works. If not, I'll try again!

Thanks for the kudos on the lessons, by the way, and also a warm welcome to you from all of us at Guitar Noise, staff, readers and guests!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

Hi!

I don't know if it will be of help to you, but I had a similar problem. I solved it just by staying a bit longer on Em before starting with C. That happens every time you start the chorus.
It's not a very orthodox answer, I know. But it's just that easy.

I can only play the last bit of the song that comes after the three times you go from Em to D, if I do it exactly as in the chorus which is easier than in David's lesson.

Maybe I'm not understanding something though

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Chip asks:
Hi Folks, I'm struggling with strum pattern for the verse in Hart of gold. Can you help?

Very Happy Thanks

Val has responded:
Does this help?

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=14019

And just a reminder to avoid multiple threads on the same lesson!
Thanks!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

This was really a great lesson Dave! Good work!

But if you maybe could keep putting the strumpatterns in the lessons with arrows, like in horse with no name, that would be great, because I'm not that good hearing strumpatterns from mp3s and struggels a bit with that. :roll:

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

cifran03 asks:
I just started to play heart of gold and i am having a little trouble with the strumming. the intro is easy but i can not get the strumming right on the verse and the chorus. can some one help me on that? thanks in advance..

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi

regarding the verses

i tend to play it

bb ddu (Em) bb ddu (C)
bb ddu (D) bb ddu (G)

the chorus is a bit trickier

bb ddu (Em) bb ddu (G)

where for the C and G measure I play the intro so

B du du du B d(C) U Udu (G)

not 100% correct but it quite works...

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 rise
(@rise)

Hi, I am having trouble with the strumming pattern on the chorus as well.

Matteo,
what exactly does "b" stand for your post above? I understand that d=down and u=up...b=?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hi, I am having trouble with the strumming pattern on the chorus as well.

Matteo,
what exactly does "b" stand for your post above? I understand that d=down and u=up...b=?
"b" is to play the base note of the chord instead of a full strum.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

excatly b means the bass note of each chord. Regarding the verse pattern I changed it like that:

verse:

bb ddu ddb ddu

but of course you could also play something simpler like

bb D bb D

accenting the big downstrum

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@steelstring)
Eminent Member

Great Lesson again, thanks David.

Another Possibility to play the Second Part of the C .. is to play it like this:

D D D U-------------------------D------D
0-0-X-0-and I'm gettin' old-0------3
1-1-X-1-------------------------1------3
0-0-X-0-------------------------0------0
2-2-X-2-------------------------2------0
3-3-X-3-------------------------3-2-0-2
0-0-X-0-------------------------0------3

Nothing Special .. just a Variation i use to play .. and as for the X'es .. i stay on the C Chord .. but before i strum it, i fully mute the strings with my palm and then i strum the sixth E, the A and D string only .. to create kinda snatching noise. well that's all about it .. have fun!

cheers,

Steelstring

And were an epitaph be my story,
I'd have a short one ready for my own,
I would have written on me on my stone:
I had a Lover's Quarrel with the world.

(Robert Lee Frost)

ReplyQuote
(@yukonron)

I apologize in advance for posting this in the wrong place.
I can't get the mp3 to play in the lesson, it gives me a "not authorized....." message.
Am I doing something wrong?
thanks

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You're not doing anything wrong. As I've noted on some of the other Forum pages, we do on occasion (actually quite frequently it seems these days) run out of our bandwidth allotment and the MP3s close as a result. This is owing to the tremendous amount of traffic that this site gets, especially the sound files.

Try back again this weekend and they should be up. And thank you for your patience with this. Unfortunately, it's one of the things we have to deal with as we get more and more traffic.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@plautzi)

I really love this song but I can't do it. I'm fine with the intro but every time I try example 2a I'm struggling with the sixteenth notes.
This song is in 4/4 so it's 4 times down and up but what to do with these sixteenth notes?
How incredible fast do I have to change the chords between the two sixteenth notes? Is there a trick?
Which pattern should I use? DU DDU etc.?

For me it's all a problem with the rhythm (not only for Heart of gold but for all Neil Young lessons)

Nevertheless a really nice lesson

Thank you
Plautzi

ReplyQuote
(@steve_jo)

New to these pages - they are a fantastic resource - many thanks for all the work.

I'm far from an expert and struggling with the verse too. I think the reason is that mp3 doesn't match the music - leastways when I put the same notes in my sequencer they just don't have the same rhythm.

I think I've finally settled on (as others have suggested)
1 a & a 2 a & a 3 a & a 4 a & a
D D D D U D D D D U

The DU on starting on 2& and 4& has less emphasis than the other strums.

You still have to change chords quickly though.

I think the 2nd bar in the chorus is missing a half beat before the 16th notes at the end.
Stick another downstroke in before the 16th notes and it seems to work.

Cheers
Steve

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4