Clear all

Love The One You're With

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@brotherwolf)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,
David seems to play a little different rythem from the one he tabbed out (the first mp3).
I hear an additional muting on the forth bit of the first measure, and the beat before it somehow sounds "cut in the middle"...
Does any of this make any sense to you?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It sounds right to me, but don't let yourself get trapped by the tab itself. Work on imitating what you hear and staying loose. Don't let strict adherence to the tab keep you from getting into the flow of the rhythm. Use the tab as a guide.
I hope that made sense. It's been a long day and my mind is drifting away...

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Mrmrsmiley asks:
Hey folks,

My 1st post hehe Wink

I had my guitar teacher teach me love the one you're with using David's lesson, but I cannot for life of me for some reason figure out how to sing along with his version of the song, it's not in it's original key.

If anyone has any suggestions or can make a recording in mp3 format and post it, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Smiley

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the asylum for the musically insane. Yes, I believe David's version is in D and the original is in C. The problem is that Stills uses open C tuning on the original. So, unless I'm mistaken about the keys, David's arrangement is a full step higher.

I can't help you much with the recording. I gather you want to record the guitar part and sing along with it. There's a free download called "Audacity". You might check it out: Audacity.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

No promises, but I'll see what I can do about getting some MP3s up for this before the month is out. No singing, though.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

No promises, but I'll see what I can do about getting some MP3s up for this before the month is out. No singing, though.

Peace

I should never post before finishing my first cup of coffee. I completely misread the mp3 question :oops: .
Audacity is still a good program though.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mrmrsmiley)

Thanks guys,

I think I'm gonna like hangin out here hehehee :D

Hey David y no singing, if Neil young can sing anyone can!

ReplyQuote
(@mrmrsmiley)

I forgot to say thanks

Audacity looks like a kewl proggie, gonna try it out.

I'd already been experimenting with recording my playing and singing with another proggie but this one looks like it might be better and it free not a trial. :D

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hey David why no singing, if Neil young can sing anyone can!

Hi there

No singing because it would be a very flagrant violation of copyright. That's also why we (I) do the songs in "snippets" instead of the whole thing. It's a very fine line we tread here with the lessons on this site in this matter but that's a discussion for our "ethos" forum :wink:

Welcome to the site and I look forward to seeing more of you here on the boards.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@mrmrsmiley)

Wow, I had no idea about the copyright thing.

Man life has too many rules sometimes, who has enuff attention span to learn em all, I'd rather use my energy towards learnin too play better.

I sure appreciate learnin from others that's for sure and helpin others when and if I can.

General nonsense and insanity seem to be one of my specialties if anyone needs help with those hehe :D

ReplyQuote
(@mrmrsmiley)

Testing testing, hmm hrummmm, 123

heheh had too try out my signature :)

ReplyQuote
(@bill_r)

Hello, am really enjoying working through these lessons, and have to say this one is giving me the most trouble so far with regard to the strumming pattern/timing, especially trying to play up to speed.

If there is a "hiccup" or syncopation to a rhythm, or maybe a few 1/16 notes thrown in a measure of mostly quarter/eighth notes, is it more correct to 1) strum at the fastest pace while missing a lot of the strums so you'll already be in time when the shorter notes come up, as opposed to 2) taking the more moderate pace and speed it up only as needed?

Seems like the first way has a lot of extra motion, but may help to keep time better? Or is it another one of those things where you just do whatever works for you?

Thanks,

ReplyQuote