Clear all

Oh, Pretty Woman

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just wanted to thank Joe Morgani for the lesson on Pretty Woman. I should be able to tackle this one since I'm pretty fast at switching between those chords. I'm trying to get some easy, crowd-singable songs together for the summer season of cookouts and camping trips and this should fit the bill nicely!

Thanks again Joe! I hope to be able to contribute something to this website someday. I've learned so much, I'd love to be able to give something back.

David

(@davidhodge)

After putting up Joe's lesson, I got the following email:
Just a comment re OH PRETTY WOMAN

It is a common mistake when people play this song to play all bars with 4 beats, in fact the D (bold & underlined) is a 2 beat (or 6, whichever you prefer.)

Pretty (A) woman won't you (F#m) pardon me?

Pretty (A) woman, I couldn't (F#m) help but see

Pretty (D) woman That you look (E7) lovely as can be, are you lonely just like me?

All you need to do to prove this is to go back to basics and start counting 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4 etc for each bars. if you don't count the 2 beat bar when you get to the start of the riff you will find it falls on the 3 beat.

Don't feel bad, I have seen many seasoned musos play it that way (because it works if everyone plays the same) but when they have a careful listen they agree.

I know it's petty but I like to get it right.

thanks for your newsletter

And I sent the following reply:
Thanks for writing and thank you for your note on Oh Pretty Woman. You're right about it being six beats (the music actually shows a typical measure of D followed by a measure of D in 2/4 time. If I'd done a better job editing, I would have caught this first time out.

I'll be correcting it in the lesson text as soon as time allows.

Thanks once more and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Peace

David

He is right, and I will be correcting the text (hopefully this weekend) to show this. My apologies to Joe because I truly should have caught this and corrected it before putting it up online.

By the way, this extra two beats of D occurs in all the verses and not just the one mentioned here (which I believe is the second verse).

Thanks again to Joe for such a terrific lesson. Now excuse me while I go hang my head in shame... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Ahh , to err is human...

A good lesson joe.Congrats :)

ReplyQuote
(@jammy1)

Keep it joe

Play Guitar

ReplyQuote