15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
14.4 K Views
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I am having a bit of trouble on bar8. Were on a G chord in bar7 and play "All is bright" but just afterwards it shows that before we switch to the C chord in bar9 to play x0xx1x, xxx0xx, x2xx3x, xxx0xx. I am not certain how to play that as my hand is currently in a G chord and getting ready to play a C chord shape.

If that didnt make sense the lesson has it tabbed out better.
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/silent-night/

Any suggestions?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's just like the blackbird lesson.

1 and 2 and 3

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It's just like the blackbird lesson.

1 and 2 and 3

I havent done the Blackbird lesson so I am not sure what 1 and 2 and 3 means. But thanks for trying. I looked at the Blackbird lesson but then it reference another lesson, LOL, and I feel like I am getting further and further away from Silent Night.

Times like these I wish I were another year or two down the road playing guitar.

Either way.. Thanks for trying Nick.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

Bar 8 has a pretty common "walking" bass part...

I'd finger it like this:

Beat 1:
Left Hand: 6th string/3rd finger, 2nd string/4th finger
Right Hand: Thumb on 6th string, middle finger on 2nd string

"And" of 1:
Left Hand: open G (no finger)
Right Hand: index finger

Beat 2:
Left Hand: 5th string open, 2nd string/1st finger
Right Hand: Thumb on 5th string, middle finger on 2nd string

"And" of 2:

Beat 3:
Left Hand: 5th String/2nd finger, 2nd string/4th finger
Right Hand: Thumb on 5th string, middle finger on 2nd string

"And" of 3:

I don't have a guitar with me, but I think that's how I'd play it...

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just played through that part.
Assuming you are using fingers 2,3,and 4 for the G chord.
Move the pinky up one string and play the 3XXX3X, pick the open string (while you are doing this get your index finger on the 1st fret of the B string and leave it there)Lift all but your index and play the X0XX1X, play the open string, play X2XX3X with your pinky and middle fingers, play the open string (while you are playing the open string get your middle and ring fingers in position for the C, remember your index is already in place)
Edit:dsparling posted while I was typing, beat me to it. :D

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys for the followup.. WOW, that is some detail and going to take some pratice.

Much appreciated. My favorite traditional Christmas song

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

frank2121 asks:
Having problems with David hodges silent night lesson.. trying to get it down for christmas i have never done finger style but im trying, have the first 4 measures sorted but the next two i have problems with i can't for the life of me, get the 5&6 measures to sound like Davids mp3 even though i can play it i cant get the rythem or what ever it is to it. Is there a nack to it i just cant seem to get it...

doesnt sond like it at all and its in easy songs for beginners, is it just me

I'm ready to throw guitar out the window now.
v. frustra

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

never saw this post till now!!

Geoo
just wondering is there light at the end of the tunnel what the trick to learning this song lost at measures 5,6,7,8

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

never saw this post till now!!

Geoo
just wondering is there light at the end of the tunnel what the trick to learning this song lost at measures 5,6,7,8

Frank, I am so sorry. I didnt see this post until just now. YES, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am at work at the moment so I cannot tell you the trick, in fact I need a refresher on this song. I got to where I could play it very well but since then I have forgotten.

When I get home I will take a look and see if I can add anything of assistance. Of course, by now you may have already mastered this. LOL

Jim

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My guess is that you already figure 5, 6, 7, & 8 but just in case you havent..

At 5 I move my index finger to fret 5 on the 1st string. Middle figure on the 7th fret 3rd string, and ring finger on 7th fret 2nd string. Play the 1st and 4th stings with your thumb and middle finger, then 3rd with your middle, 2nd with your middle, 3rd with your middle, repeat the thumb and middle on the 1st and 4th string, and pluck the third. After that you just make a regular D chord and play the strings in the same way you have been.

Hope that helps. More than likely I just confused you more.

Good luck. There is light. Play it slowly at first

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

hi geoo thanks for getting back to me to be honest i had givin up on it but i started again i have'nt a problem with the fingering but what i have a problem with is the rhythm between measures 5 and 10 i just cant seem to get it right i have'nt got any futher than that lol maybe ill get it after christmas lol
thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@aluth23)

hi geoo thanks for getting back to me to be honest i had given up on it but i started again i have'nt a problem with the fingering but what i have a problem with is the rhythm between measures 5 and 10 i just cant seem to get it right i have'nt got any futher than that lol maybe ill get it after Christmas lol
thanks again
I hear you frank, i find myself having a hard time making that sound right and usually end up just playing it and hoping if i stick with it it will come with time! just try and do the fingering right and move on, i think the trick is to make the thumb and middle finger pluck ring threw and the 4th,5th4th fingering a lot softer but still i can't seem to do all that in the right time to have it sound right =( Plus get myself up to the d in time! Easy song my...i might just play the first two lines over and over and hum the rest..

And I'm just fine with all my time
To live until I die~B.C.

ReplyQuote
(@namsag)

Hi, new guy here, I have very little guitar experience,trying to learn a little from the internet. I have a question about measures 5 and 6 in the Silent Night tab. I understand that a D chord is fretted on the 5th and 6th frets. The following notes are on the G and B strings at the seventh fret - I wonder if someone could suggest how they fret those notes. I don't understand whether you're supposed to be able to slide your whole hand down, or reach down with a finger, or how? Would appreciate any advice on how to do it. Thanks, namsag.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

In bar 5, I have my index on the 5th fret of the e string and my second finger on the 7th fret of the G & B strings (double stop with one finger). It isn't necessary here, but makes it easier to play bar 18, when it comes around - I just dump my little finger on the 8th fret of the e string.

Going back to bar 6, I barre the G, B and e strings with my index finger and play the F# on the e string, whilst plonking my second finger onto the D (on the B string). My other two fingers are free to fret the G chord (E/3, e/3).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I don't understand whether you're supposed to be able to slide your whole hand down, or reach down with a finger, or how? Would appreciate any advice on how to do it. Thanks, namsag.
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/silent-night/

I move my hand down to the 5th and 7th fret but since I can't fret two strings with one finger, I have
the index finger on the e string at the 5th fret,
ring finger on the G string 7th fret and
pinky on the B string 7th fret.
The hard part for me was learning to move the whole hand back up to the 2nd and 3rd fret to catch that D chord in time to keep in rhythm.

When it comes to measure 18, I didn't have much trouble moving my pinky from the 7th to the 8th fret e string back up to the 7th fret B string.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote