Clear all

Three Marlenas

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
 J_C
(@j_c)

Hi! I've been using this lesson as a part of my normal warm up procedure since I started playing around two months ago. However, I recently revisited the lesson as I wanted to try singing along with it, only I was having a heck of a time getting the words to match up with the chords (even while watching the music video) Anybody have any suggestions on adding the vocal instrument into the mix?

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

Indeed. I have the chords and changes down but can't time the words correctly no matter how slow or methodical I approach it.

ReplyQuote
 J_C
(@j_c)

Yeah same here... See the problem I have is that I start singing at the same speed the singer from wallflowers does, and I'm pretty sure I'm playing on tempo, but by the end of the first line I look up and I'm on a completely different chord than the lesson says. I'm trying to figure out which aspect I'm fouling up. I almost want to put in an extra couple of strums on the G or something.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Singing this isn't the easiest thing in the world, but you do have a bit of help in that there are lyrical phrases that totally follow the strumming, especially on starting with the second half of the second beat of any given measure. Like the first line (and I hope the "code" thing makes this work...):
BEAT: 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

Strum: D U D U D U

LYRIC: (A)lone tonight IN SOME - ONE EL - SES

So one thing you might try doing is not to worry about all the lyrics and instead focus on the timing of these phrases that occur during this part of the strumming (in the next line it's "she went and dyed her"). You might find that after you've got a few of them down that you can smoothly fit the rest of the line into place. Just a thought...

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 J_C
(@j_c)

Thank you David, I'll give this a shot! :D

ReplyQuote
(@julcia)

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the percussive stroke. My trouble is that I'm not quite sure how to hit the strings because with my pick in my hand, it seems to get in the way and I can't figure out how to position my hand so that I can move back fast enough for the next chord. Any advice or tips? Thanks so much!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2