Skip to content
Clouds and Stars (t...

Notifications
Clear all

Clouds and Stars (title could be better)

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have all the music for this composed, but my brother just went off to college with all his recording gear and I'm left home without a single microphone to my name. Here are the lyrics anyway. Feedback is appreciated as usual. This one was inspired by a favorite angst-reducing pastime of playing and singing out on the grass in front of my dorm, and the central images (and one line verbatim) are borrowed form two of the great odes of the British Romantic tradition (Wordsworth's "Intimations of Immortality," and Coleridges "Dejection"). I also stole a few words from Dylan, as is my wont (points to guess which). Enjoy, and eventually I'll record it. Musically, the structure is Verse, Chorus, Instrumental (Verse chords), Chorus, Verse, in case the lyric pattern seems weird.

The clouds that gather round the setting sun,
When it sets, they have each other and the stars.
And there's a place beside me on the grass,
But all I have tonight is my guitar.

My guitar so tired and worn, my hands so cold,
The darkness set ablaze by clouds and stars.

My guitar it rings out true, my hands they play
A slow tune for the dancing clouds and stars

And so I sing each sad song that I know
But none can match the sadness of the sky
So bright, and yet mysterious, and dark
I wonder what it thinks of when it sighs.

~Sam

(@raystrack)
Estimable Member

The clouds that gather round the setting sun,
When it sets, they have each other and the stars.

That repetition grates. How about replacing the second one with sinks or the first with sinking or dying? And starting the 2nd line with As rather than When - (hard to tell without the music but starting with a vowel seems easier).

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

ReplyQuote