Clear all

Concerns about lyrics.

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Don't panic. Your lyrics may not always seem "up to snuff", you may think "I can do better than that".
The music charts tell a different tale - you don't even need to have anything coherent to say, let alone put it on paper!

Try this list of "the worst song lyrics ever" - it will make you feel much better about your own.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/05/whats_the_worst_song_lyric_eve.html :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Aw man.... I got half the songs on that list and the last 3 songs I really like. :shock:

I find reading Limp Bizkit lyrics will make anyone feel good about their song writing skills.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It just goes to show, that you shouldn't overthink it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Good Post. (and really hilarious)

The irony is that these songs have become famous and thousands of copies have been sold.

I need to start writing now...no procrastination anymore...

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I find reading Limp Bizkit lyrics will make anyone feel good about their song writing skills.

LOL that is so, so true.....

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

I think an important point is that lyrics do not have to use big words and complicated rhymes to be great. When you look at a lot of popular lyrics they don't always seem like poetry, and the don't have to! Great lyrics can be simple as long as they fit the melody and mood of the song. That is the reason I don't like to critique lyrics without music, you may have written a great poem that would make a lousy song, or a lousy poem that make would be a hit. Without a melody, lyrics can't really be considered or judged as so.

And just a side note, it is much easier (for most people) to fit lyrics to music rather then music to lyrics. The really engaging songs are the ones where the melody, style, and lyrics all work together for a common goal, not an AABB rhyme scheme fit to a 1-4-5 chord progression after the fact.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote