Notifications
Clear all

Do you use chord progression?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@maestro)
Topic starter  

do you guys use chord progression for writng songs?
or you just play what its sounds best?

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

It's impossible to write a song without chord progression. Unless, of course, the song is intentionally monotonal. If you mean do I write with a chord progression in mind: no. I'm not nearly at that level of theory yet. I play what sounds good and sometimes I can anticipate a progression. I wan't to be able to say "well this key would give the right ambience and if I follow through with this progression I can lead into this other key." That's seems a few years off yet. We shall see. Majority of Pop and Rock an Blues songs written in I-IV- V.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Actually not all songs are written around chord progressions. Most rock songs use riffs based around scales, particularly the pentatonic. Although sometimes the I-IV-V is used in this case it is normally a scale progression (if that's what it's called) rather than a chord progression. An example is Rock And Roll by Zeppelin which has four bars in A (not sure what scale) two bars of d, then 2 of A, 2 of E and of A or Moby Dick which I think has 4 bars of D Minor Pentatonic, two bars of G Minor Pentatonic, two bars of D Minor Pentatonic and finally 2 bars of A minor pentatonic. These are exceptions as most riffs are just played in one key througout the song. Some riffs may be based on chords but they are normally played in the same chord throughout the song rather than a progression. Or so I understand it.

ReplyQuote