Notifications
Clear all

Does this recording show any promise?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@guyinsummers)
Topic starter  

Hi there. This is a song I've been working on recently that I decided to try recording to see how it would sound. I really have no idea if it shows any promise or not. I can't listen to my own music objectively. I do know that the recording is awful - all I have to work with for the time being is a cheap came-with-the-computer mic, an ancient soundcard, and five minutes' experience with Audacity. I actually had to mic my amp since I don't have 1/4'' inputs, so the electric guitar has the timbre of a piece of steel wool. I suppose what I'm looking for is "Would it be worth it to try recording this piece on a decent setup?" I know I should be proud of it regardless 'cuz it's my music, but it's pretty much the first full piece I've written, and I want an idea of what my friend's reaction would be if he let me use his recording equipment and this is what I lay down.

Here's an MP3. It has only the first minute of the piece recorded; I have written the rest.
http://larrykenny.mine.nu/misc/lethimgo.mp3
Two things that are apparent from the recording are that I am a teenager and I can't sing; I acknowledge both. The lyrics were an afterthought, so they may well be cheesy and meaningless.

Also, if anybody has the Scorch plugin, I'd appreciate if you could look at the score for this piece.
http://larrykenny.mine.nu/misc/lethimgo.htm
Any criticism on the score itself, particularly the vaguely contrapuntal dueling harmonica/guitar solos, would be much appreciated. Thanks, all.

(@mysticmoonangel)
Estimable Member

hi guyinsummer

i m sorry to say but this peice could use some work i dont know if it is the recording or the play its hard to tell but keep on working on it i'm sur it will turn out in the end

good luck :wink: mystic

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sounds pretty good to me considering the production/recording equipment.
keep on tweaking it and get some better gear, you're obviously going down the right path imo

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The playing was a little rushed and the sound poor as you explained, but I think you are onto something with the song. I'd keep working it if I were you.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gram99)
Estimable Member

try and find your key for singing. this is very strained. keep going

"Nothing happens until something moves."

Albert Einstein

ReplyQuote