Clear all

From brain to guitar

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cstar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Its hard to play musical ideas before they are completely forgotten. Any ideas to help get them down?

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

One thing I do is to have a pad and pencil ready. When it comes into your head, tab it out. Or, at the very least, write down the chord progressions you're hearing. Then, work with them when you've got your guitar.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

First off Cstar, RECORD!

Sing it into the micraphone, get some way to make sure it will not be forgotten.

Being able to get what is in your head to your fingers is something that will come with time. Trying playing notes and humming along with them. Or play a phrase, and then hum it.

Then try doing the reverse, hum a phrase, and then see if you can play it. No? Hum it again, and do it note by note.

After a while, you're able to do this with a little more ease.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@cstar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

One thing I do is to have a pad and pencil ready. When it comes into your head, tab it out. Or, at the very least, write down the chord progressions you're hearing. Then, work with them when you've got your guitar.
the thing is i don't even know what chords im hearing either. but thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@cstar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

First off Cstar, RECORD!

Sing it into the micraphone, get some way to make sure it will not be forgotten.

Being able to get what is in your head to your fingers is something that will come with time. Trying playing notes and humming along with them. Or play a phrase, and then hum it.

Then try doing the reverse, hum a phrase, and then see if you can play it. No? Hum it again, and do it note by note.

After a while, you're able to do this with a little more ease.
and thank you too for the recording and humming advice.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Yes , recording does help.

And writing is very important.Take songwriting as a proper exercise , like you will write a letter (maybe love letter , if you are writing love songs :wink:).I mean being a bit serious in that sense can get much better results.

Hoping to hear from you ,

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@cooker)
Estimable Member

cstar hey...recording is the best because there is no question of what you had in mind and you can play it back over and over...if that`s not available try carring a pitch pipe...if you think you know the key..find and use the progression for that key or transpose to another to suit your voice or playing ...

You can sleep when you`re dead!
"and baby all you need...is just a little more love"

ReplyQuote
(@cstar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

cstar hey...recording is the best because there is no question of what you had in mind and you can play it back over and over...if that`s not available try carring a pitch pipe...if you think you know the key..find and use the progression for that key or transpose to another to suit your voice or playing ... thank you

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!

I back up the recording suggestion.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote