Clear all

General writing question

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all. I've yet to write a complete song, but have many riffs and progressions. The trouble is, when I write a guitar part that moves me in some way, whether I hear it as an intro, verse or chorus, I can't seem to write the other parts to go with it. So sorry if this has been asked to death, but what are your methods for writing multiple parts that fit together well for the mood of the song? Thanks.

Dan

(@sev9780)

Personaly, I use power chords as I do punk rock, and I just mess around with chords 2 frets lower and higher or 1 sting down untill I have something that sound ok, then i tweek it untill I have something I like, or at least don't hate enough to prestent to the band.

I.E.

e |------------------
B |------------------
G |---------------4-
D |---------------2-
A |--4---6---2------
E |--2---4---0------
......^
staring chord

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am totally with sev9780. I love punk and the power chords. Great way to form some rockkkk. :twisted: .

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member

I find the same problem, but stick with it. I've found by noodling the song for a while something sometimes popps up. My big problem is that I'll like it for two weeks & then go - nah, that's lame. So I have to find something else. Good Luck. :D

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i have had the same problem, but came upon the following idea.. bear in mind though i am probably the last person around here you want advice from.

i now dont start with riffs, i pick up the acoustic, strum along and start to sing. when i am happy with the chord progression, verse,chorus, bridge, and lyrics i get out the electric and begin turning the chords into riffs which fit the pattern of the song. like i said though... dont listen to me.. just a songwriting newbie.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote