Notifications
Clear all

How do I write a good melody?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@airfish117)
Topic starter  

I've been trying to write songs for a little while now, and the hardest part for me has been writing a good and memorable melody. Can someone please help? If anyone has any pointers I would greatly appriciate it.

(@omega)
Estimable Member

Its a mix of luck and skill, I think.

You could just be jamming and find that memorable riff, and then it would come easily, or you might have to think about it for awhile...I personally just imagine how I want to express a thought or feeling, then when I hear what it would sound like, I work it out on guitar, then play around with it... There isn't really a sure fire way to make an excellent riff, and even if you could, it wouldn't be excellent to many people anyway, because thats the way of the world. Just play what feels right, and don't worry if its a master piece, and it'll come easier..

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Sometimes writing out a progression that makes you feel something and soloing to it (slowly) is a good way to find riffs. Loop it or play it for a long time and just let your fingers wander. If you like something, expand it or break it down and your in business.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Don't forget that however good it is, you might have to sing it yourself - so keep it simple.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@lostbeggining)
Reputable Member

This is my personal way..so......ya know....might only work for me...but i do like was said above and write a progression then see how that makes me sing/play a melody and then fiddle with it.....or i just take a dictaphone or recorder etc and just randomly sing out lines that sound like gibberish but have a melody to them....and then later on play it back and derive anythin decent from it..........n that seems 2 b the best way.........just throw yourself at it .............
sorry if that dint help

NeM

Rain Shadow

ReplyQuote
(@duffgurl2004)
Eminent Member

I've been trying to write songs for a little while now, and the hardest part for me has been writing a good and memorable melody. Can someone please help? If anyone has any pointers I would greatly appriciate it.

finnally a easy question! it does'nt matter if you have bad melody or you have no melady. if you dont want to use a melody then dont use it! all that matters in a song is that you like it and it has rythim! i hate a song with no rythim and all melody i cant stand it! well thats all see ya miranda :mrgreen:

-MIRANDA BROOKS-

ReplyQuote