Notifications
Clear all

I want to ask about the"many views vs few comments&quot

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Yes I would check things out here more often if the lyrics came with music. Particularly if the post titles identified which threads had an mp3 with them. :)

I have nothing against lyric writers. 8) My only post here was a lyrics only post at the SSG section so I can't be too critical! I've also been a writer of lyrics for two stage musicals that were performed locally. :wink: I just like to see them used in their intended context. I find that I quickly lose interest in wading through heaps of posts of "songs" that aren't ever actually going to be set to music and sung.

Just my preference though. :) It's also the reason why I stopped posting in the SSG section until I'm competent enough to post actual songs that had been at least roughly paired with the intended music.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am not a song writer, never have been and probably never will be. I just love playing and listening to music. Notice I highlighted listening to since it is relevant to this post.

I do read through some of the lyrics when the title catches me and only then and I have even commented a few times. For some reason I tend to respond to requests for titles but not sure why (maybe I am a closet writer) I truthfully was never into poetry either and to me reading lyrics without music is like reading poetry. I have to hear it to be able to evaluate it.

So, what I am getting at is that I do listen to every sound clip that is posted and do periodically comment on them. I don't comment if I have nothing to add to what has already been said, either positive or negative.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@jbrownstein)
Trusted Member

Just getting started reviewing lyrics of others, and posted my first recently. While no replies seems like "screaming in a vacuum" the fact that anybody views it is a compliment. In my opinion, if you view it and don't like it, it is ok to say so. Anybody brave enough to post it for the world to see should be tough enough to stand the heat of someone else's critique.

The critique doesn't have to be nasty, just a "it doesn't do it for me" is ok. If you feel like saying why, that is optional, but helpful to the songwriter. Too oblique, "been there done that" etc. Just a 5 second reply. Otherwise one begins to hear Pink Floyd in their head too often (Is there anybody out there?)

I'm not a big love song fan in any genre, so I tend to skip by those songs, and I shouldn't. Everybody deserves a view if they are brave enough to post.

As far as SSG is concerned, I find it hard to join in the middle. A lot of the "assignments" are continuations of previous threads and that makes it difficult for a newbie to SSG to get involved.

The unexamined life is unworth living - Aristotle

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I posted my reason HERE.

Words without direction are hard to evaluate.

As in… do you love something

or

Love something

or

Love something

Like in the link, I'm NOT knocking anyone! It's just hard to evaluate something when you don't understand/know the original posters emotions and the way the emotions were supposed to come across and WHEN they were supposed to come across.

Punctuation is what I'm trying to get at I guess. I'll add, put a story line in before the song so you let everyone know what you are going through so they know what emotions are to be expected.

Nick,

You might think that my post holds as much water as Crank-N-Jam's, but without your Scoring Points article I feel there is a lot left out in the songs.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2