Clear all

I Was Born To Rock And Roll

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, it's been a strange few weeks - arm in a sling, haven't played guitar at all, haven't even been bothered writing - because normally I need a guitar in my hand. Tonight, I got an idea for a chorus....and the rest of the song took about 15 mins to write.

Basically, it's how I feel about life, and rock'n'roll.....

I Was Born To Rock And Roll.

I never wanted to be a soldier, never wanted to be a sailor,
And any kind of sporting career, was always doomed to failure,
Didn't want to be an engine driver, a fireman or detective,
Didn't fancy being a legal eagle, I'm a little more selective,

I've always had one single goal, I was made to play one role,
I've always known deep down in my soul, I was born to rock and roll!

I never wanted to work for a living, I've always been lazy,
Saw the Beatles on Top Of The Pops, man I just went crazy!
I knew right there and then, with the music in my ears,
I could never nine-to-five, I needed a music career,

So when I started work, I saved all my pay,
I just had to have a guitar,
Played it for a week and realised
I'd never be a rock'n'roll star.

But I persevered, and little by little,
I learned a few rock'n'roll songs,
Nowadays I play for my own amusement,
The dreams of stardom are long long gone....

I always dreamed that someday, maybe, I'd be in a band
Maybe not playing in some huge stadium, maybe somewhere less grand,
In the pubs and clubs, maybe playing covers, that'd be all right,
Long as I can play real loud, and play rock'n'roll all night!

As always, all feedback welcome.

I've been a VERY good boy - followed Doctor's orders to the letter. Never touched a guitar, so here's hoping tomorrow he'll tell me I can pick up a guitar again....I really NEEED to be playing music! My shoulder feels like it's back to normal, so hopefully no more sling.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I hope things get back to normal soon, that's rough.

The song is good, I just might use a different method to the choruses. I'm not sure - it isn't a real opinion just different.

There's alot of rhyming going on there, so you could, but don't have to experiment with an internal or more subtle rhyme.

I've always had my mind made up, I was made to play one role,
I've always known that in my mind, I was born to rock and roll!

I've left your role and roll play :lol: and introduced a possible inside hook too, "mind made" leads to "was made", then repeats the exact same "my mind" in that order, but it leaves "born" as the weak word, not carrying any cleverness? :shock:

That is picky, picky - yes I'm picking on me-self? Well, it passes IMO or you can bring resolve with "I wanna rock and roll!"

If you keep it more your way I would just offer the option of losing the word "down". You made a little tongue twister. :lol:

Thus:

I've always known deep in my soul, I was born to rock and roll!

I still see the resolution or the closure with the right syllabification and opportunity for emphatic inflection coming there.

And I don't know what you'll have for music, but I'm counting like 4/4 time and after role you can do a single guitar chord.
Then after born to rock and roll you get plenty of chances to noodle with rockabilly, short "Irish jig type" or long MIA riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Ts4M3irWM&feature=related

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the comments, Blue Jay, much appreciated. I'll bear in mind the changes for the chorus - they read well. Musically, I'm thinking 4/4, about 132bpm....one of those loose rockers in open G that the Stones seem to be able to knock out at the drop of a hat. Sort of half-way between that and George Thorogood, anyway...maybe even a slide solo.

Sling's off - shoulder's still sore, but gradually getting a bit of movement back. Playing guitar's not too bad as long as I remember to strum from the elbow downwards!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@onesong)
Eminent Member

Ain't that the way it go'es. Just about the time you think you got it all figured out, you find out the "truth"

I like the song. Good job.

jodyW

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

I really like this one, Vic-might be the old airplanes but I'm on a bigtime blues-rock kick lately. Particularly GT and some of the more rockin' Stones tunes. This plays well in my head as kind of a hybrid between "Satisfaction" style Stones and GT's "Movin' on over," but faster. I'd like to hear this one.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

. I'd like to hear this one.

Stay tuned to this station for further announcements. Shoulder's better, got new strings on the Tele - all I need now is a couple of hour's peace and quiet, and I'll get it recorded!

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

Vic

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Didn't fancy being a legal eagle, I'm a little more selective,

My suggestion,

Didn't fancy becoming a politician, I'm a little more selective,

The reason being . . . I would respect you more for that insightful decision :mrgreen:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote