Clear all

make me a song to go w/ these lyrics

20 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jaa9270)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

as advertised, i want to try a "songwriting exchange." i got the idea from Fall Out Boy's songwriting process. so here are the lyrics. if anyone can write a fall out boy type pop-punk song to go with them, please do. i would appreciate it if you recorded the song and sent it to [email protected]

p.s. i didnt know what line to make the chorus so pick whichever verse you want, but dont change the order.

"Theatre Seats to the Promenade" by jaa9270 (c)opyright

No rythym" is no excuse.
Get out there and move.
Morals don't work on girls in the moment.

Mirage.
Bright dame in a dark alley.

Does that face come in latex, or do I have the right girl?

Where ya been?
Where haven't you?
Not a dime on the dancefloor hasn't read your palm tonight.

You heard me.
Not a stutter in your step after my last confession.
These are my sins:
Waiting up while breaking down.
Making the most of my life is the least of my worries.

Lay off the sweet talk, will ya?
It cancels out the green in your eyes.
And his breath on yours.

Wrong time to conjure up trite ties to white lies.

Run your eyes like you run your waist
and maybe I'll care.
Just maybe.

Don't look now, but I saw you flash a tooth or two
at kids who know you better than I do.

Eager eyes are charm enough.
So turn your head and miss me saying 'no' to girls who want you gone.

Fifty bucks says fifty hands won't leave here hungry.
But I can starve on virtue alone.

Your dress parts the sea of suits.
But the kid in jeans won't make a scene unless you cry.

The cynics in the seats are sayin', "He don't stand a chance.
This guy'll rip that guy in two before he asks her for a dance."

I'd snap his neck on your whim.
You never turned down a fan.
I never lifted a finger.

Self-made star of the promenade.
You left all your class in that old yearbook.
You sorted out my sticks and stones.
My chest was the exception to the rule.

I blame your fame on you.

I just said
I'm just dead.
So put off funeral arrangements 'til you can find that kinda money.

Don't you worry about this tonight.
You have all of after to care.
Go have fun,
you're still six feet up.
So don't you dare look back,
'cause I agree,
it's not polite to stare.

(@gram99)
Estimable Member

please tell me your kidding.

"Nothing happens until something moves."

Albert Einstein

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Why would you want to sound like Fall Out Boy?

ReplyQuote
(@jaa9270)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the help, guys.

ReplyQuote
(@gram99)
Estimable Member

your welcome

"Nothing happens until something moves."

Albert Einstein

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

jaa9270, it's almost impossible to put music to words unless you have some kind of rhythm and flow to the lyrics....

It's a heck of a long song, for a start, so you need a sense of how the song should sound - it starts with 3-line verse, then there doesn't seem to be a coherent rhyming scheme. One line here, three lines, five lines, one line....it's like asking someone to put music to freeform verse. Or prose.

What I'd suggest is....

If you're going to make this a long, rambling song - and there's a lot of it! - make notes as to structure, rhythm, etc. Make suggestions as to music - this line should be sung higher than the last line, this line should be shouted, this line should be whisperd, the tempo should drop here, pick up here, etc etc etc.

YOU wrote the lyrics - you must have some idea how it sounds, to YOU. Maybe if you can communicate some of those ideas we might be able to help?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^Well, Vic. He did say "make it sound like Fall Out Boy" seems pretty simple to me. >_>

See-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UEzhlFqtAJk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vVc9lFgArso

Sorry jaa, but it's not as easy as saying "MAKE A SONG FOR THIS!" Someone could easily record a two minute tune for you. But it's likely it won't sound right at all.

I have a lot of ideas for songs in my head, but I'm not good enough to put it on guitar yet, and I don't have a bass/drum/keyboard player...so I guess I should just practice, practice, practice. Pick up a guitar, that's my advice.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'll have a look at those youtube links - I don't think I've ever heard of Fall Out Boy, so that wasn't a big help.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jaa9270)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the input. yeah, i guess impulsively i just posted some poetic prose i thought was somewhat rhythmic to see if someone could flex it musically. i'll post another (more pliant) project soon but i'm not giving up on this one.

"YOU wrote the lyrics - you must have some idea how it sounds, to YOU. Maybe if you can communicate some of those ideas we might be able to help? "

i guess i could post a "spoken word" reading of it on youtube.

as for my next project, it's not complete lyrically or musically, but at least i have a sense of the melody for it. i can't play guitar yet but i can play the notes for it on one string. or i can make the noise verbally. i'll update

again, thanks. keep replying.

ReplyQuote
(@jaa9270)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i posted my second project, eloquently titled "2nd project." check it out. tell me what you think

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

*edit and apologies*

were you looking for someone to turn it into a full song or just someone to come up with a flow for the words and then you can run with it?

also im guessing you wanted people to pick and choose what they liked/could use from that list, not incorporate it all into one song right?

ReplyQuote
(@jaa9270)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

haha. yeah, you hit it on the nose. it really is just some prose of mine that i saw lyrical potential in, and so i wanted to see if someone could develop it for me. the lines are in chronological order, and so it would be amazing if it could all be incorporated into one song, but i realize that it would probably sound like "long, incoherent rambling." please prove me wrong.

p.s. yes, i was looking for a full song. i can always make revisions, if i want, right?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

these guys are full of crap mate, its easy to put music to words.

Actually - no, it isn't. Not without some sense of structure, tempo, timing, phrasing, dynamics, mood - a million things that go through the writer's head when he's/she's scribbling down lyrics. Especially when those lyrics are written by someone else. It isn't easy to get into someone else's head and transfer their thought processes to guitar, bass, keyboard drums etc with just bare lines of prose to work from. You could ask five musicians to work on any set of lyrics - one'd do them as a blues, one'd make it a ballad, another an up-tempo rocker, etc etc. - because they'd be subconsciously influenced by the music THEY write.

It's easy enough to write music to your own lyrics - hell, anyone can play around with three chords and get a song. It isn't always easy to get the music in your head out....sometimes it's damn near impossible. To quote John Lennon:

"Often the backing I think of early on never comes off. With "Tomorrow Never Knows" I'd imagined in my head that in the background you'd hear thousands of monks chanting, that was impractical of course, and we did something different. I should have tried to get near my original idea, the monks singing, I realise now that was what it wanted."

If a musical genius like Lennon had that kind of trouble transferring his own ideas to music, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Well - there's always hope!

In the original post, jaa9270 said "if anyone can write a fall out boy type pop-punk song to go with them....." - why not make it a jaa9270 original? The lyrics are original enough.....it's OK to be inspired or influenced by a band or writer, but what's wrong with going the extra mile and making it a true original?
i guess i could post a "spoken word" reading of it on youtube. that'd be a start......

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

these guys are full of crap mate, its easy to put music to words,

If that is so ???

Where is your FU#$%ING MP3 ????

OHHHH I don't see one ..

Real easy to sit on your r's and say sh!t like that , record it then ...

I 've been waiting for your recording since you made that statement and still no MP3 of your recording to prove " THESE GUYS ARE FULL OF CRAP "

We know who is full of CRAP here ..

Some little blow in who probably doesn't even own a guitar

PROVE ME WRONG

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

*deleted*

ReplyQuote