Clear all

Out in Lake Creek

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well I wrote my first song the other day, a little corny but I guess you have to start somewhere....
The tempo is Southern Rock, think Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, .38 Special that kind of thing.

On the music I'm stuck in between playing Em, G, D, A open chords or E5, G5, D5, A5 power chords. Leaning towards the power chords right now, sounds more like southern rock to me than the open chords. Maybe open chords during verse and power chords during chorus or something.

Background: Every sunday night we have a get together in my buddy's basement. My friend mike come's over and plays rhythym and sings, and my other buddy mike plays lead. I just play along, or will soon be playing bass.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Sorry if I rambled...

And without furter ado.....

We've got them guitars ringing
And everybody's singing
We've got to work tommorrow,
But tonight we're playing

Well you know we've had some good times <~~Chorus
You know we'll have some good times still
There's beer to drink, friends to meet
Way out in old Lake Creek

There's Mike and his Mezcal
He's playin' all night
Down in the basement
You know it just sounds right

We've got a bonfire burning
Down by the campsite
You know those stories keep runnin'
Told by the firelight

Chorus x2

Way out in old Lake Creek
Fun out in old Lake Creek

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

that bad huh?

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@kosmos)
Eminent Member

How about this:-

We've got the guitars ringing
And all here are singing
But tomorrow brings work
so tonight we are playing

We've had some good times and bad
A rollercoaster ride describes our life
Beer to drink and our friends to greet
Lot's of fun out here in old Lake Creek

I've changed the first couple of verses to maybe give you an idea or two but feel free to do as you wish with it. You obviously need to work on the chourus and the line 'We've got a bonfire burning Down by the campsite' maybe use 'We've got a bonfire burning and the time's close to midnight'

I hope you understand what I'm saying and don't get discouraged as it's only your first and I've yet to submit my first song on here yet but I will as soon as I'm happy enough with it.
:wink:

"Sometimes you wonder, I mean really wonder. I know we make our own reality and we always have a choice, but how much is pre-ordained?"

John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the ideas kosmos, I am not discouraged by criticism. Songwriting is like playing guitar, you don't get good without practice.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

First off > Good for you on getting your first song written! That hardest part is always starting.

As for the song;

I really like the first verse (and contrary to Kosmos) I wouldnt change it.

However the song does seem to jump around a bit:

the first verse is about all of you playing the basement
the chorus gives the impresion of being out in Lake Creek, miles from anywhere
the second verse is about Mike in his basement
the third is back at the campsite (at Lake Creek I am presuming?)

To me, this sums up an image of Mike in his basement while you are at Lake Creek (which I don't think is the case?)

I would try to make it about one of the other; either being in the basement, OR being at Lake Creek.

I've no suggestions for lines I'm afraid, but there's some food for thought for you.

Waiting for more - happy writing!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@missmatilde)
Eminent Member

I like the idea, and congrats for your first song...
I do agree with Peter on more than one thing: the first verse is nice, and I also think that you should stick with one theme...

the 1st and 3rd line of the chorus do fit, for how you described your get together, I thought of something like this:

You know we've had some good times,
we have everything we could want,
There's beer to drink, and friends to meet,
We longed to be here for all last week.

just an idea, I hope it may help you tho.

as there seems to be a big part about the campisteLake Creek you probably should use the idea, and put it in a new song.
anyway, my compliments, this is just so much better that my first attempt was 8). keep it up!
matilde

ReplyQuote