Clear all

The Raven - Is It Copyrighted?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@amazing_ness)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey. I wouldn't mention it, but I wanted to write a conceptual piece on it, and I need to know....IS the raven copyrighted? I can't find ANY copyright information on it anywhere. The only explanation I can think of is that because proof exists that it was written sometime in the late 1800's, it's got some kind of Poor Man's Copyright on it.

Hey.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14082

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You may not have a problem with the author of the book, but you may well have trouble with Alan Parsons, who made a concept album based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe (Tales of Mystery and Imagination). The second track is called "Raven" and recounts the tale in song. So he may have copyright on the raven theme, as far as music goes, although it may be a gray area, as the original, written, work is out of copyright.
I've no idea who has precedence, in a case like this.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

The text is in the public domain and you're free to use it as you wish. As for Alan Parsons, obviously you can't copy any text, music or graphics that originated with him, but other than that he has no copyright on the text, theme, concept or title of the Raven.

ReplyQuote