Notifications
Clear all

Trying to record first song

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@carolina)
Topic starter  

I have written my first song! Well, almost finished - it needs to be refined a bit. Now I am trying to learn how to record it on my Apple Mac. The apple Mac came with GarageBand and I have learned how to plug in the guitar to the mini headphone jack and record it. What type of microphone should I buy (under $100) and can it plug directly into the second mini headphone jack? I have noticed that most microphones come with a 3 wire plug.

Can I play and sing into Garageband at the same time using the 2 jacks? Will it create 2 tracks? (assume for a minute that I can play and sing at the same time)

Thanks,

Steve

(@screamoguy)
Eminent Member

you might want a better computer if your planning on recording. and than youll want a better recording program. if you do record with you mac it wont be good quility

Hi, Im mike

"I dont know what world war III will be fought with, but world war IV will be fought with sticks and stones" -Albert Einstien

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi, Carolina, and welcome to Guitarnoise.

First up - if you plug your mic into a headphone socket you won't record anything.

I suspect your computer only has one input socket, and if you've got your guitar in it already you'll have to remove it to connect the mic.

What kind of mic? Pop down to your local guitar shop - they'll have plenty. Shure are ok. I use AKG - they're quite reasonably priced.

You will need to select which track you're recording to, and you'll have to do the complete recording one track at a time. It's actually great fun doing it that way; do your drum tracks first.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote