Skip to content
what's wrong? what'...

Notifications
Clear all

what's wrong? what's wrong? i just can't make a song!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@megalomaniac)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

before i begin, i'd like to throw it out there that i just need to converse with actual song writers and people to help understand where i myself am coming from, and how i can improve myself, even if it's by just trying to write something like this out to help organize my thoughts and my own take on my dillema. sorry, it is a bit lengthy but probably a couple of you guy's out there can relate some way or another

okay, so, to start of with, i've been lurking around here for awhile now, and i thought i would like to ask others for there input and suggestions towards something like this.
now my writing.
i've written many poems, and prose, (i'm not sure if it could be considered lyrics (as lyrics are written with music)) but i still can't seem to find the right line inwhich i'm looking for. i'm not happy with anything i write, as with probably many people. i participate in the sunday songwriting group here, but it all turns more or less into unorganized rambles and poems.
which isnt something i'm really after. (but who's to say what's lyrics and what isnt)
something i'm questioning if it's worth trying to consider and write with is the use of syllables within a phrase or stanza?
does it help it flow, does it give it more structure and rythem? or is there any use for it what soever?
if so, then is it worth trying to revolve and rewrite lyrics concerning this, even if it doesnt fit a line or so?
i'm not talking about a change or a pattern (maybe one line with 5,another with 6 another with 8 and then 5 and 6 again?) but something more major that's awkward to have sung or written?
how about vocabulary? are bigger words worse in same way or another? or how about smaller and more relatable words?
i like to read alot, (hopefully you do too if you're continuing to read my ramble, sorry = (. ) and from reading, i always look up words and try to increase my language, but would this be deconstructive towards songwriting then?

one of the problems i have with playing guitar, is that almost everything i do is revolved around noodling around,
i wont play anything in particular, i'll just practice. improvise through scales and different chord progressions, and when i DO make or find something i like, i analyze the living hell out of it and kill it.
i consider myself more of a musician then a writer, and from this i try to make the best riff progression or lets call it 'playing' as i can and from there, i wont be able to pick out words to fit it in someway or another. but then i'll feel i can do better if i just resort to playing chords most likely something revolving around the classic 1,4,5 pattern and there i can create words and things overtop, but i felt nothing has 'stuck' so to say.

i've been playing guitar for about five years now, writing for about a year and seriously attempting to craft something musically of my own for about half of that year. but so far, i cant get away from my standards of what it is i make.

personaly, i think it's myself holding me back but i dont know how i can get away from it.

in your opinion, how can i try and get myself out of this hole i've dug? what can i do to help me get started and fix my outlook upon this? thoughts? opinions? ... anything?
= )
thanks for taking the time to read this and possibly reply, even spending a good half an hour writing this out has helped me focus in and signal out to myself what i need to work on and where i'm at. sorry if i repeated anything, think of it as extra emphasis on something or other?

(@lwj001)
Reputable Member

Howdy Megalomaniac.
something i'm questioning if it's worth trying to consider and write with is the use of syllables within a phrase or stanza?
does it help it flow, does it give it more structure and rythem? or is there any use for it what soever?
I am a big fan of counting the syllables. It makes a more structured song, easier to sing and easier
to write music for, though I don't write music myself. The example below repeats the same structure
in every verse, but I don't do that way all the time
Take a close look at the structure of "evergreen songs", those that stand the test of time.
Rhyming patterns play a big part, starting, internal and ending rhymes.
I make good use of Rhymezone.com when I'm composing.

Her Departure Was Torture (Larry W. Jones 05/29/2008) (song#5465)

Well, I knew it was over before it was over =12
Because I already heard the end of love's song =12
It was such a sad shame =6
But she had me to blame =6
Her departure was torture before she was gone =12

She packed up her duffel and let her feet shuffle
Right out the front door to the trunk of the sedan
It all came unravelled
And she left lots of gravel
Now I've nowhere to travel and drunken again

There's no easy answer for things like a transfer
From new love that was strong to old love that went wrong
This pain ain't new, my friend
Cause I knew it would end
Her departure was torture before she was gone

- instrumental -

She packed up her duffel and let her feet shuffle
Right out the front door to the trunk of the sedan
It all came unravelled
And she left lots of gravel
Now I've nowhere to travel and drunken again

There's no easy answer for things like a transfer
From new love that was strong to old love that went wrong
This pain ain't new, my friend
Cause I knew it would end
Her departure was torture before she was gone

Kingwood Kowboy
Author of over 6,600 song lyrics
http://www.kingwoodkowboy.com/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

there's usually a repetitive rhythmic pattern and feel to lyrics. similarity from line to line. congruity from rhyme to rhyme. if a line lends itself to a melody and rhythm, you want to repeat that melody and rhythm in a rhyming line.
there's a lot of different structures, though. you can make them as complex as you want or can handle or sounds good to you.
some song lyrics don't rhyme at all. there's usually still a similar structure from verse to verse, though. even rarer is completely free verse music, but it exists.

ReplyQuote