Clear all

what's your personal inspiration?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@stefhy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I wanted to make a subject where we could all share what inspires us most, in hopes of inspiring eachother. For me, many things inspire me, but at this moment in time as i sit here writing this post, it is a song by the GooGoo dolls... It's called I'll Be, the lead singer is edwin mccain (or mccane - im not sure how to spell it :oops: ) and the lyrical content is...well.. I think its amazing. For those of you who haven't heard the song i would like to share with you its lyrics, - *sigh* i wish i could write like this...

I'll Be

The strands in your eyes that color them wonderful
Stop me and steal my breath
Emeralds from mountains thrust towards the sky
Never revealing their depth
Tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above

chorus: I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I'll be love suicide
I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life

Rain falls angry on the tin roof
As we lie awake in my bed
You're my survival, you're my living proof
My love is alive and not dead
Tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above

Chorus

I've dropped out, burned up, fought my way back from the dead
Tuned in, turned on, remembered the thing you said
Chorus (x3)

Anywho, please post anything as my hopes for this board is to bring everyone together and bring some more inspiration about :)
~*stefany*~

I know it wasn't reason,
That made me do what wasn't right
but sometimes my heart falls prone
to the nature of your spite.

(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

since when is edwin mccain in goo goo dolls... i had no idea. i love that song though. My inspiration comes from a wide range of artists, mostly punk-rock as that is what i mostly write. I also get inspiration from bands like the calling, those are the more mellow songs that i write.

ReplyQuote
(@stefhy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

well i could be wrong, i was told numerous times that edwin mccain was the lead singer of googoo dolls - though i could have been told be ppl just as clueless as me, so maybe that was my bad... lol but if it was done by numerous artists (which i had no idea of) then i would jst like to ignore the part of the googoo dolls, and simply say that those lyrics are my inspiration right now...

I know it wasn't reason,

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

that is a fantastic song. i wish i could write a song as good as that. i mean i know i can write good songs, but not that caliber yet.

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Interesting... I've noticed a few times people mentioning that they were inspired by a song, and the two of you as well. I honestly have never had that. Rather, I've never been inspired to write a song by listening to another song. Mine usually comes from a phrase I think of (like 'A Self-Inflicted Wound to My Dominant Hand') or a situation I'm in, or a story I've heard, or just by some chord progression or bass progression I stumble on while goofing around on my guitar. And lets not forget the Sunday Song Writers Group assignment for the week, though sometimes that's much less inspiration than perspiration.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
(@stefhy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah sometimes Im like that, usually listenin to music only gets me distracted or i get stuck on someone elses lyrics or tune... Tho this song's lyrics just ran a whole bunch of descriptiv words through my head, and the feeling of love (as i am in the middle of bein in love that may be part of my inspiration). I'm not sure exactly what it was...I love those happy mistakes tho, hehe, becoming inspired by 'stumbling on somethin' is great and sometimes makes for great pieces of work. :) Has anyone been inspired by a movie or book, or maybe scenery? is it more imagery for ppl or ... i dunno anything at all really - im just interested to know if there's somethin to look toward for later inspiration...

I know it wasn't reason,

ReplyQuote
(@stefhy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

umm i dont knw why the end quote thing was there... ignore that :?

I know it wasn't reason,

ReplyQuote