Clear all

Writing Dilemma

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have no problems writing lyrics or music, but when i try to write both lyrics and music for one song, but when i have to write one for the other or both at the same time i struggle loads.

I can write lyrics on their own, and music on its own, but when it comes to fitting them together, my mind stops working. I have managed once or twice by chance to write music that fits some of the lyrics i have written, but i have a lot of problems in this area!

Help please??? :?

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

i will write lines or phrases rather than 'song' with no tune. or ideas. but when it comes to writing songs i find having an idea or direction is important, then i will muck around with music and write words to that music. i havent had much success in merging music and lyrics written separtely either. playing a chord progression iv made over and over and humming away to get a vocal tune is how i do it. then il sit and write words to that tune, sometimes using (and heavily modifying) older lyrics i have lying around

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, thats really helped. I have recently been strumming away a basic chord progression with my eyes closed, and then when words came into my head i would sing. The only problem is that the words cam out and it was a comedy song :| when i was trying to write something cool, i didnt write it down because it was pointless babble, ill give your method a go. Cheers bud.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

i didnt write it down because it was pointless babble,

Ah, you always write it down or record it no matter how rediculous it may seem at the time. It might serve a purpose later down the road even if it you use it as inspiration for something else. I have several demos that are locked in a "vault" that I have gone back and listened to for ideas.

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So even if something is utterly ridiculous then i should write it down, well it seems more fitting now as a our band has started a spin off parody band for fun aswell as doing the serious one, so it seems sensible to write it down now, even though all the comedy stuff weve done so far is totally improvised, lyrically and musically, except for one song that has the music from wonderwall by oasis in the background while were singing random stuff to it. But ill bear that in mind and write down anything that comes into my head.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

Well, you use your own judgment. If you are doing something that is just completely unusable, then maybe not. But in my experience, I'll write or record myself just futzin' around even though it sucks wind. Then I'll listen to it or read through it days, weeks, months later and think, "hey, I can do something with this." Sometimes it can serve as a catylist for future projects. You just never know....

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

ReplyQuote