Clear all

12 string songs.

42 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Cool. Thanks for the info! So they are played normally, but give a fuller sound. I'll have to check one out next time I'm in the guitar store. Thanks!

I've seen a few threads here where people have said that 12-strings are a little bit more "temparmental" than 6 string guitars, so you must really play the one you are going to buy. I've tried a couple in stores; I didn't find it harder to fret, but I did find it harder to finger-pick. I could not cleanly pick both the strings. I am sure that improves with practice..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Cool. Thanks for the info! So they are played normally, but give a fuller sound. I'll have to check one out next time I'm in the guitar store. Thanks!

Yes and YES!! They make beautiful sound and they're so easy to strum too with all those strings so close to each other. Also surprising, you can pick out single notes too just as easy as a regular 6-string.

Check one or two out, you'll be sooo glad you did. I've been working on Floyd's Wish You Were Here and a week or so ago I got the Gilmour DVD and he does this song in his show and the main riff/rythm part is done with a 12 string.

I've been hunting for one ever since, I've played a few, even a $1250 Martin or was it a Taylor I don't know now (long day), and it was Heaven. But I'm no where near worthy of throw'n out $1k Plus for any guitar right now.

Since I've been looking I've seen a few of them now, but nothing jumped off the wall cuz it HAD to come home with me yet. <pout>

Start looking I'm sure you'll run into a few and you never know, you might have to bring one home with ya. <wink>

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ricochet - I've heard this advice also. Wouldn't a 12-string be designed/built to withstand the added tension? Or does beefing up the neck result in something difficult to play?
Just curious, I don't own a 12-string (but wish I did :wink: )I don't own one either, and am just repeating what I've often heard. Apparently the manufacturers used to regularly recommend tuning them lower. It's still a common practice. The maker of the guitar in question would be the best source of advice in this case, I'm just suggesting checking on it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Something to think about, you may want to tune it into "standard" tuning a step or so down. That's often been recommended for 12 strings, due to the increased total string tension.

Most 12-strings today are built to handle the string tension of the 12 strings, I recommend you de tune it when you're not going to be playing it for a while, just to be safe. Thats what I do with mine when I accually have 12 strings on it :)

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@fizz6207)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yeah I had also heard that 12 strings need to be de tuned a bit to handle the extra tension, but mine came with a three year warranty so the manufacturers seem pretty confident in its quality.

I might tune it to e-flat.

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyt60)
Eminent Member

One name is all you need for twelve string. Leo Kottke. If you don't know who this is you should find out.

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

I might tune it to e-flat.

Yep. That's exactly what I do. I have two of them. That's a 24 string? :lol:

Seriously...many 12 stringers tune down a 1/2, whole, or even TWO steps down. A capo comes in handy when you want to come back up to pitch. Make sure the capo's built for 12 strings. The tuning down is easier on the fingers, too.

BTW...the neck is not what usually goes out on a 12. It's usually the bridge that gets pulled off. Also, 12's can develop a bit of a "belly" below the bridge. This is normal and can also happen even on expensive 6 string guitars.

As for music....like they said....ANYTHING goes. The 12 has gotten my creative juices going, too. The sustain of the 12 brings out the best of my composing.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but the 12 is the reason I started playing the guitar again. It's also the reason I joined GN to begin with. :)

Happy strumming,
Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

Why is it... that many times after I post...the thread DIES :?: :roll: :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

It's not dead, just sleeping. :lol:

Thanks a lot guys. Now a 12 string is on the list of things I need to check out (read: buy).

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

With that said, my friend has a 25 year old + Washburn 12 string that he keeps in standard tuning ALL the time. This beast that he has sings like twelve angels floating above the clouds!

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

I never thoughgt to de-tune my guitar (except for weird open tuning experiments)... dunno why, all my other guitars are in Eb

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@jaypbaker)
Eminent Member

OMG I Have To Get Me A 12 String...
Been Dying To Play One Lately

just Trying To Get This Guitar To Compute...
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.rythym.net
My Music

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

OMG I Have To Get Me A 12 String...
Been Dying To Play One Lately

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jayp....with your AVITAR...I can see why you need TWICE the strings. :wink:

Maybe you should use an ax like this:

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

i nearly bought that guitar once... plays really nicely, sounds amazing.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@jaypbaker)
Eminent Member

OH Yeah! My Neighbors Would Hate Me When I Kicked That Puppy Up To Volume 5, But I'd Be In Heaven...

Got A Link? I May Be Serious Bout Buyin one ;)

just Trying To Get This Guitar To Compute...
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.rythym.net
My Music

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3