Clear all

2009 Goals

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I had been meaning to post this for the past few weeks, finally getting around to it. I thought it would be cool to start a thread where folks could post any goals that we might have set along the lines of musical development for the coming year. I'll start things going:

1) Develop a repertiore of about 120 songs that I would know by heart and play with suitable quality for gigging.
2) Improve vocal ability, particularly while playing- essentially sing as well payiong as I can when not playing.
3) Write 12 new songs.
4) Apply strumming techniques learned in the GN podcasts to at least half the songs in my repertiore
5) Be able to perform solo guitar parts to at least 12 songs.
6) Be able to improvise over basic chord progressions using scale patterns.
7) Transcribe 2 songs per month by ear. Chords for all songs and solos for six of these.
8) Get to where I am playing at least one gig per month.

Right now my repertiore is at about 50 songs, but I know less than half by heart. I am told my vocals are good, but I sound much better when I am not playing, so I need to work on that. I do almost exclusively basic strumming on songs but I have been studying the podcasts and whant to start using the techniques in actual performance. I took lead guitar lessons for two years but never really had much chance to apply what I have learned so I want to do that (goals 5 and 6). I am jsut starting to venture out doing gigs- right now I have only played at friends' parties, barbecues, tailgates and the like but I want to start venturing into some small local clubs.

The goals I believe are somewhat ambitious, but they are right for where I want to go and I'd be pleased if at the end of the year I have met most of them.

I'd be interested to hear what some of you have. And if you haven't set goals but have been thinking about it, perhaps this can be some inspiration.

FYI, in developing these I referred to a most excellent article on this site by David Hodge. Can't remember the name of it but search among the lessons under "Practice" or "Goals" and you should find it.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

world domination

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

world domination
:D :note2: :mrgreen:

Regards,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

These are my main goals for this year:

1) Start a band (this one has been a long time waiting, as it's been a while since i've been in a band and currently don't know many musicians in the area who would be interested)
2) Be able to improvise over blues and rock progressions starting in E, then working on every other key
3) Develop a repertoire of around 20 songs or so (both in the rock/blues/pop genre and about the same amount of repertoire in my classical playing)
4) Improve my technique
5) Write songs of my own

I know goal #4 is pretty vague, basically i've been working on improving my left hand (loosening it up by practicing some legato licks) so I can play some more complicated leads.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

1. Use a pick. I just can't seem to grasp using a pick, fingerpicking is fine. Not strumming, but actually picking strings and such, I keep losing it and the strings just keep getting in the way of each other.

2. Apply myself to writing original material, and then actually following up on it and recording it.

2009 will hopefully be a good year.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

1. Get some harmonica chops. I can play a little bit, but I always sound like an amateur.

2. Learn how to solo unaccompanied. I mean by this the sort of thing that Richard Thompson does--playing some leads/riffs/runs over a ringing bass note. (This would involve more use of open tunings, I believe!)

3. In lieu of #2, develop some fluency with a looping pedal--this will enable me to solo a bit over a looped chord progression.

All of these goals address my central problem: I can't really do a solo gig because I have no ability to break up a song with some sort of lead. All the songs are verse/chorus/verse/chorus, etc. Nothing but strum and sing.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

All of these goals address my central problem: I can't really do a solo gig because I have no ability to break up a song with some sort of lead. All the songs are verse/chorus/verse/chorus, etc. Nothing but strum and sing.

That's kind of where I'm at, Jack. Just strumming and singing. It just doesn't work doing a solo with no accompaniment. My personal answer to this is to learn and apply the techniques from the podcasts. The techniques themselves i am getting but I need still to get them automatic where I can apply them in actual performance of songs.

Regards,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if you get decent at harp, you can always do a little harmonica solo or run between verses. it worked for dylan.

ReplyQuote