Clear all

3rd string - wound or plain?

13 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is a sort of follow-up to the "What size are your strings" thread.....

I've always used 9's - Ernie Balls - on electric & acoustic - bought new strings yesterday, put D'addario 9's on the electric, and Martin 10's on acoustic. The D'Addarios seem a lot smoother to play, but the Martins - well, I like the slightly fuller tone, but I do NOT like the wound 3rd (G) string. I didn't actually realise there would be such a difference moving up one gauge....the 3rd wound on the Martins is .23, the 4th on the D'addarios is .24. I am going to replace the wound 3rd with a plain 3rd tomorrow - the guitar seems more balanced, somehow, with a plain 3rd... too many bass strings with a wound 3rd!!!

Is it just me or do others prefer plain to wound - or vice versa?

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@javajark)
Eminent Member

I use Martin. And I like them. I wouldn't do what your thinking of doing cause it will change some of your tone. At least i would notice it. The problem I have found with mix matching sets is then it sounds like it's not quite all the way in tune, that is because the tone has changed some.

The bridges that I walk across are weak. Frustrations fill the void that I can’t solely bear.
And I have turned away and searched for answers I can’t understand...

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I love the wound strings. They sound much fuller than the unwounds...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I just recently upped my gauge on my electric to 10-50, on DR strings. Awesome tone and feel. I wish the second strign was wound though.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

I can't stand having a wound 3rd string (I would say a wound G-string but that just sounds funny), even though a wound 3rd string sounds more full. Just feels weird. I can't remember what blues man it was, but I recall someone that plays blues used to always strip the 3rd string if it was wound (now it is going to bother me until I remember who that was).

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I can't remember the blues man either but I remember the story.

You know, I never gave this any thought even though the strings on my acoustics is a wound G string (there I said it) and the electrics aren't. Thinking about it I do notice a difference in feel but I get use to it after awhile.

Now I am going to loose sleep over it Ha Ha

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

I like mine wound for acoustic and not for electric.

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

I use the heaviest electric strings I can find with an unwound G. I tune to standard. Ernie Ball Power Slinkys fit the bill and are the easiest to get ahold of around here. I also order them in bulk from Musician's Friend.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Play in Open G and you'll have two G-strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

I always use a wound G on my acoustic and hollow body electric guitars, my solid body guitar I use an unwound G. The wound G takes a little getting use to but after a while there is no differance.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I only play electric but have tried using a wound 3rd. I hear lots of string squeak because I'm used to being able to move my hand over a string without grooves. I didn't like the wound at all. Just me.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

i love a wound G-String...only on my acoustic though...yup i just live wound g strings.. they take some getting used to but i dunno..maby you just have to be a rewal man to have a wound g string..they are a little uncomforatable at first but hey..there a first time for evert thing...

hahahaha i couldnt resist..ill behave from now on.. :D

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Plain Gs bug me. They don't seem to fit in with the other strings, like the tension is just a little too low. I was really happy the first time I tried a wound G.

ReplyQuote