Notifications
Clear all

6 string or 7 string?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@delph)
Topic starter  

So I'm thinking about getting a new guitar, I bought my current one (Crafter Convoy FM) about 2 years ago when I started playing guitar again and while it sounds awesome it's somewhat lacking. Recently I started practicing more difficult songs, with the train of thought that the only way to master difficult songs is to actually play them and since then I've been mostly slaving away at Dream Theater, Satriani style things. The Crafter however has very bad access to the upper frets, not to mention only 22 frets. With Petrucci being fond of using 24 frets and Satriani generous use of whammy bar I find myself having to stop dead in the middle of a lot of song, quite annoying. So I've been looking at getting a 24 frets guitar (with whammy bar of course). And I was wondering if I should just go the extra mile and get a 7 string while I'm at it so I can finally play those 7 string songs as well.

Anyone have any experience with 7 strings? Do you even notice anything playing 6 string songs on them or do you hardly even notice the 7th string? Help me make a decision here...

(Also, feel free to suggest some guitars I should check out. But I'm obviously not too much into the whole drooling over vintage Les Pauls and bluesy tones)

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Well, first off, I've never played a 7 string. So when it comes to first hand, I'm worthless.

When it comes to 7 strings though Ibanez and their korn signature models are supposed to be good.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote