(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/87923048.html
Is this a good deal??? :)

Stairway to Freebird!

(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever touch a guitar that has a broken headstock: there is no possible way in the real world to fix these so that they are as strong as before. This is advice I received from a whole host of professionals. It's the one thing you can't fix on a guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If the job was done by a pro, and believe me you can tell when you look at it, then I wouldn't worry about it. If the repair shows no glue squeeze out, no gap, nice feathering of the overspray, then you are probably good to go.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Structural/BrokenHeadstocks/NeckCrack/neckcrack.html

or this one that Frank says "may outlast us all".

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Structural/BrokenHeadstocks/LongBreak/longbreak.html

See if the guy has the receipt for the repair. Then you can see if was done by pros and how stable the repair is. If it was fixed a year ago and still looks good, don't worry about it.

Frank even says, (about the backstrap overlay technique):

"No matter how bad the break is, this technique will result in a peghead that's stronger and more resilient than the original. It's time consuming, but rewarding."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Nick and his references. Many headstock breaks are indeed repairable, and those that look the worst often can be made as strong or stronger than the original construction. Nevertheless, you (or a knowledgable type) should inspect the repair before you buy. You should also play the guitar. A guitar with this type of repair is not the type of thing one buys sight unseen.

BTW, plently of professional musicians have had their fave instrument repaired and rebuilt to very servicable, if not nearly pristine condition after some very nasty damage. A broken headstock may devalue a guitar's monetary worth, but is does not mean the end of its musical life. Unfortunately, a botched repair by a so-called "professional" could spell the end.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Studio's in general are a lot cheaper than other Les Paul models. I think they sell new for around 1,000 usd. You should check a few out before you buy this one (if you plan to) and I don't think I'd buy that one unless the seller has a return policy of some kind.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

A bad headstock repair is one of the small list of things a bad luthier can do that a good luthier can't fix.

But a good headstock repair is not a worry.

Get the name of who did the repair, and then go find out what you can about their luthier skills. And go take a look at the instrument. If you can't spot the repair immediately but have to look for it, then you're probably going to be ok.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I have a 60s classical yamaha that was broken after the nut. It was glued back on and is still as good to go, 40 years later. As for the strat: just get it for 250. Looks like it is easily worth it, and would suck to see someone else walk away with it because you were busy with those $50.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As for the strat: just get it for 250. Looks like it is easily worth it, and would suck to see someone else walk away with it because you were busy with those $50.

That's the problem. I only have 120 bucks, and my next paycheck is 80 bucks. I could borrow another 50 bucks, but I don't really like being in debt. :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

This is a dumb noobie question but if you break the headstock wouldn't it be better to just replace the neck as a whole piece? It seems that it would take less work therefore less money.

I can only assume the reason is to keep the original parts..

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

This is a dumb noobie question but if you break the headstock wouldn't it be better to just replace the neck as a whole piece? It seems that it would take less work therefore less money.

I can only assume the reason is to keep the original parts..

Thanks
In some cases that would definitely be required but in other cases parts and labor may be more than replacing the guitar. A lot more goes into replacing a neck with all the line up issues etc.. So it is really a judgment call at the time of repair.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member

Les Paul necks are glued on pretty much for life, you can just bolt a new neck on Teles and Strats.

Visit my band's website!

ReplyQuote