Acoustic advise

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@spadge)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi.

Just recently started playing as a part of a 3 piece band, thats concentrating on doing acoustic stuff only.

I've played guitar for a few years, but always electric, and even then only recently started doing solo's.

Basically what I am looking for are some ideas of how to come up with solo's designed for acoustics, instead of trying to be a shred head on an acoustic... if this makes sense.

Just want to learn what techniques to practise etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards.

Dave.

Find all you need in your mind, If you take the time

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

There usually isnt any difference except that you dont have acess to the higher frets. Plenty of people have writen great solo's on acoustic.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Sometimes playing less is more. Instead of playing 100 notes all flash, slow it down to a few notes,bends,etc and have your guitar talk. Same thing applies to playing electric add soul and feelings to your playing. Learn all you can and then forget everything you know till the next line comes along.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^yeah, but like you said it also applies to eletric. I actually have this cool version of EVH doing Epruption acoustically thats sweet. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

depends on the style of music. If you do a blues trio, then less is definitely more (and more with feel). If you are doing an acoustic trio with heavy fusion and progressive tendencies, then feeling is still important and slowing it down some, but speed is kind of required frequently for that style. I say just keep in style with whatever music you are playing and then sometimes, switch it up and do "time" changes. Keep your ears open.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@joe-h)

What the others have said about playing less. Also, you can do some nice chord solos rather than single note stuff.

One thing that's fun to do is to set up a drone string (I normally use the high E) and play fingerstyle, plucking the drone string with or between every note on the other strings as you solo. I play a lot of blues-type stuff and it sounds really good in that context.

ReplyQuote
(@spadge)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all for your comments.

Find all you need in your mind, If you take the time

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

What the others have said about playing less. Also, you can do some nice chord solos rather than single note stuff.

One thing that's fun to do is to set up a drone string (I normally use the high E) and play fingerstyle, plucking the drone string with or between every note on the other strings as you solo. I play a lot of blues-type stuff and it sounds really good in that context.

Yeah, I've experimented with that as well. Its amazingh how much effect manipulating the bass can have.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote