Clear all

Acoustic Effects

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Can the effects such as distortion , reverb , overdrive and so on (which are used in an electric guitar ) be used in an acoustic guitar also?i don't have any pickups in my acoustic.So if it can done how it is done.Thanks guys :)

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

One way that it can done is with the recording equipment. I'm not a full bottle at all on the subject, so it's possible that it can also be done using software on a home computer.

Machines such as the Zoom MRS-8 have several tracks that you can record to, and then mix. But they also have a range of effects.

A few weeks ago I recorded a friend playing a 'serious' piece on his acoustic guitar and we then had a lot of fun running the same track through a variety of effects. Some were just mimicking the acoustic properties of various types of concert hall, small room, large room , etc, but others were of the sort you mention.

It was quite weird hearing his piece turn "rock and roll"! :D

The same effects can be added through the machine (and played through monitors of some sort) without actually recording.

It's quicker and easier if you can plug in, but it can be done just miking the guitar. Results will vary a lot depending on the quality, type, and placement of the mike though.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it too. :)

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You could also purchase an acoustic pickup for you guitar:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/300251/
or:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/303111/
then run into standard effects or processors. I don't quite like the sound of distortion on an acoustic, but chorus and reverb are quite nice. Oh yeah, you'll also need some kind of amp. :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

I got an Abilene pickup and like it very much. They go for around $30. Here is a link to one of them.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ABLPU100

I also just purchased a Roland Micro Cube amp and this has all the effects you were talking about (and more). I was VERY surprised at the volume even though it's quite small. These go for around $125.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys.but is the guitar to be screwed up (i mean hole to be dug) for the pick up to be in there?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

And further can the guitar then be plugged on to the standard amplifiers or there are special made for acoustic ones?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wow, tons of questions here. Yeah, you can use any effects with any instrument. Whether you like the result is something else. Reverb, chorus, compression and delay are not uncommon accoustic effects. You can apply effects by adding a pup and using pedals, by using a mic and adding effects in the FX-loop of the mixer or by recording it dry and adding effects later.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

thanks guys.but is the guitar to be screwed up (i mean hole to be dug) for the pick up to be in there?

Do a search for soundhole pickps on either eBay, Google, or pricegrabber.com (musical instruments section) and get one of those. I have the Seymor Duncan Grand and it just slides onto (not in to!) the soundhole and come off very easily...cost around $39+ depending on the model you get.

ReplyQuote