Clear all

Breedlove acoustics and talking down shop pricing

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I recently played a Breedlove AC25/SM, and man, its exactly what Ive been looking for. For the past few months Ive been thinking about getting an acoustic, but wasn't really impressed by anything in the 500-700 range. I played several different brands, but wouldn't say they were any better than acoustics in the $200 range.

Well today I played the first acoustic that I really liked. It sounded great, felt great (not a dreadnaught, which makes it very comfortable on the shoulder), and played easily. Low action with no buzzing and a big cutaway made it easy to play quick solos high up on the fretboard. They aren't exactly cheap, 640-700, but I've got to get one. Its got a solid sitka spruce top and solid mahogany back, and micarta nut and saddle. Ive still got to save up at least $50, but I'm definetly going to get it as soon as I can.

I was wondering if anyone else here owned/played/ or heard of this guitar before. They really are nice guitars, would definetly reccommend checking them out.

The store in town that has them has it marked at $679, which puts me $80 short currently. Do you think that I might be able to talk down the price 30 or 40 dollars? I've never negotiated about the price before because my usual shop is way better in customer service. Its a smaller shop that everyone is really friendly and the sticker prices are very fair. I usually avoid the shop that I will be buying this guitar from, they are unfriendly, always trying to push something that you dont want, but they are the only place around that carries breedloves so I've got no choice. Basically I wouldn't feel bad about trying to get the guitar for cheaper. Thanks for any advice.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

tell them you have a price written on a piece of paper in your pocket. If they get close to it, you'll buy the guitar, if not you'll get it elsewhere. And of course, if they don't budge, you just come back when you have the money =P

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Rolln,

Yes I know of Breedlove, they are made right here in Sisters Oregon, my home state. Very nice people over there.

They're handmade, quality instruments. I rather admire them a great deal, but they're still out of my price range, some day.:roll:

Here's a link to their site. http://www.breedloveguitars.com

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That is actually a good price.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

One of my first jobs out of college was selling cameras. (Way back some where between digital cameras and cave paintings) There was a slim mark up on the cameras and a larger mark up on the accessories.

While I can't guaranty that this is the case in music stores I wouldn't be surprised to find that it was. What I'm getting at here is that you probably have a better chance of getting the $30 or $40 off a good case than you would if you bought only the guitar. If spending $600-$800 on the guitar, get a hard case at 1/2, free strap and a few sets of strings tossed in.

I realize that this is more than you want to spend in TOTAL, but in reality these are things that you will buy anyway. You'll get your savings and what you need.

Just my two cents (which by the way is two cents over dealer cost :lol: )

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. Maybe I'm just being greedy, I see that they are selling it for about $20 less than anywhere on the net.

Arg, Ive got major gas, and it won't be fufilled for quite a while as we are basically in a drought and the grass has stopped growing, which equals no moolah...

And thats good advice mikey, but luckily Ive already got a case, and a gig bag for an acoustic, but I'll definetly try to get some stuff throw in.

Heres what I think I'll do. Save up the $679, and don't bargain that price as its already pretty good and I doubt I could get it much lower, but try to get a stand and strap and maybe a pack or two of extra strings thrown into the deal, that would save me about $40-50. Hows thats sound? Think that would fly relatively easy?

Thanks guys.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Should work just fine, there is a fairly high mark-up on most guitars these days.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@jester)
Trusted Member

There's nothing wrong with asking if they can give you a break. The worst they can say is "no," and then you come back when you're ready. They won't ban you for asking.

Last week I bought two guitars at once--I intend to post about it when I have more time--and was able to talk them down a reasonble extent. One of them was used, which probably helped.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Times like these I realise why people say we are living in "rip off" Britain.

Same guitar here. £625. Yup, that in pounds sterling.

So at us$1.75 to £1 (and today's rate is worse than that i think) that would be $1093.

I would say you have a bargain.

Oh, and please don't anyone in the States come on here and tell me how expensive gas is....!! ha ha

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It never hurts to ask if a shop will sell at your price.

When I had a retail business I used to think "10% of something is always better than 100% of nothing". I.e a small profit is better than losing a sale.

I was in a guitar shop on Saturday, talking to the owner. There was a guitar there marked down from $1399 to $999.

Now these guitars were indeed once $1399 but the makers themselves had recently cut the price and their own recommended retail was now $999. I mentioned this, and he promptly offered me the guitar for $795!!

Just say to the shop "look I've only got $600 right now, can you do it for that?" If they say "no", say "OK, I'll have to save up some more". They will know that someone else may sell to you in the meantime, so they should then at least offer their best price. Walk away if they won't match your offer - you never know what might happen before you reach the door. And you can always go back if you change your mind.

Keep it polite and it should be fine. :D

ReplyQuote
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

Please don't just settle for the price! You can try some of the methods the other people suggested, which are actually kind of clever, or you can just go straight into the "Look, can I get this for $650 (or whatever you think is reasonable)." Not trying to haggle would be stupid, plus it's always fun getting things for less than the listed price. Go for it!

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

I have a local music store here in Boulder called Robb's Music. They may be $5 bucks more than say the closest GC or some place on the web, but anytime I buy something there they are always throwing in additional stuff. When I bought my acoustic they gave me my case for 80% off and threw in some picks. They could smell the GAS on me and wanted to make sure I came back. I also believe in supporting local businesses so I am willing to pay a little more to help them out, but then again I have a little more disposable income (at least I will have when I get done paying my ex-wife alimony) ;-)

MrClean

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all of the tips guys. This weekend I'm gonna go and after playing for a little bit, be rather blunt to the salesmen that comes over to check on me. I'll simply state that I've got $630, and ask if they can do that. If not, I guess I'll have to save some more. Wish me luck :D .

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Always ask for a discount. Just to show you what I mean. The guitar I'm going to get tonight lists for $2600.00 the shop tagged it at $1800.00 and I'm going to pay a lot less for it, pm me if ya want to know.

Always ask for a lower price.

ReplyQuote
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

sweet! Good luck! You've got to love bluntness.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2