Notifications
Clear all

Breedlove acoustics and talking down shop pricing

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

It never EVER hurts to ask if they can come down on price, or sweeten the deal with extras. My Ibanez AM73 was hanging on the wall marked $279 (about $20 less than the Musican's friend price). I asked the owner if he would take less for it. He looked, and said, "Oh yeah, that one. The guy had it three weeks and decided he didn't like it. I'll let ya have it for $250 and toss in this hardshell case ($99 sticker in plain view)." I wrote the check.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Thanks for all of the tips guys. This weekend I'm gonna go and after playing for a little bit, be rather blunt to the salesmen that comes over to check on me. I'll simply state that I've got $630, and ask if they can do that. If not, I guess I'll have to save some more. Wish me luck :D .
It might not hurt to try it this way:

YOU: "I like this guitar, but I can't quite make the price tag right now. What's your best price on it?"

THEM: "Well, we could drop about $x for cash, I suppose..."

YOU: "Hmm. To be honest I only have $630, so that's all I can offer today."

THEM: "Well, OK" or maybe "I'll have to ask the manager..."

I only suggest that because many places can at least manage a 10% mark down if they want to. So you may get a better offer than your $630 anyway.

It often depends on how many they have in stock, what they paid for it, how long they've had it, whether they're shooting to make sales targets, and all sorts of factors that you can't know or guess at.

Sometimes people won't budge, but I've also been amazed at how much people can drop if I look like I might be hookable, but I just don't jump too quick!! :wink:

Good luck! :D

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot Chris, I think I'll try that, I can't think of a better way to word it than that. Thanks everyone for helping me get my confidence up, I'm looking forward to getting back to the shop and seeing what I can make happen.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2