Acoustic Instrumental Requests

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey,

I'm itching to play more jam nights and the like, but don't sing (right now, anyway, I'm working on it, just not consistent enough to perform in public with added nerves, etc). As great as backing singers is, I don't wanna be tied down to only playing nights where I know a singer will be there who knows songs I know (plus, I wanna show off a bit more :wink: ). So I want to learn some acoustic guitar instrumentals (or classical instru's I can get away with on steel strings) for folk nights and the like, but I;ve realised I hardly know of any, let alone how they go.

I'm a fairly decent player, so could probs handle all bar the most excruciatingly complex tunes, and I was hoping people could suggest some names and composers/performers I could check out in this regard. Any links to TABs would be welcome but not necessary. I would prefer to learn a bunch of standard tuning pieces for now (so the ppl running the nights don't get irritated with me changing the tuning of their guitars every 5 mins), but altered tuning recommendations would be noted for when I expad my acoustic guitar collection.

Oh, and the only instrumnetal I can honestly say I know right now is Davey Graham's Angie.

Massive props to anyone who can suggets further tunes for me.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@dommy09)
Trusted Member

Classical Gas, originally by mason williams (i think! i could be wrong!) is always a good one to have in your repetoire.

Sorry, thats all i can think of right now

"We all have always shared a common belief that music is meant to be played as loud as possible, really raw and raunchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." -Bon Scott

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

cheers for that! just googled it and got tommy emmanuel doing a brilliant version. I was really thinking of learning his version.........until it got to the microphone bit, that is :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0eTp7SoNU

actually, I also like his version of Angelina http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU&feature=related anyone know who did it originally? (it might well be one of his - I've no idea, lol)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The only version of Angelina I know is Keb'Mo's.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member

i believe angelina is tommy emmanuel's. while there are other songs with the same name, they are different songs (for example earl klugh has a song name angelina). Mombasa is another famous one by TE.

while i'm a big TE fan (saw him in concert here in toronto), imo the the mason williams version is better as it is (again, IMO) a cleaner sound and would be more recognizable by the audience.

you could also try earl klugh's angelina or, one of my personal favorites, midnight in san juan (although that probably would require other band members).

pab

ReplyQuote
(@dommy09)
Trusted Member

i love tommy, best concert i've seen when he came down here! its like he's three musicians in one! ive seen his brother phil as well, who is a very accomplished guitarist in his own right!

also, maybe google some chet atkins songs, he does a great mister sandman, sounds fantastic

"We all have always shared a common belief that music is meant to be played as loud as possible, really raw and raunchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." -Bon Scott

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

cheers, yeah I learned one TE tune and another from Guitarist magazine 'in the style of' but only saw him 'live' via youtube today - I've already checed his webist and he's playing manchester (near enough for me to travel :mrgreen: ) towards the end of this year, so I'm already pencilling that date in my diary, I'm quite a recent convert.

I don't know midnight in san juan, so I'llc heck it out and see if I can create/find an arrangement for solo guitar. had to do loads of 4 part harmony and music analysis and rearranging and stuff,so while I'm no expert, I feel confident about giving it a try (and if I do get something worked out, I'll post the TAB for anyone else who wants it)

back to TE - I've seen a fair few 'flashy' acoustic pickers that I've not been impressed with - there seemed to be no/little substance to their music and they lacked the personality to make up for that. But I really enjoyed the TE stuff I've heard so far and enjoyed his 'live act' in a improv posted on youtube. all in all, seems a prett kewl guy with pretty kewl music. the fact that it requires such a high standard of musical skill is just a bonus. :mrgreen:

mkay folks, keep posting ya suggestions as and when, and I'll update with where I've got with them (even if I end up with a hundred suggestions, it'll just give me more stuff to check out and be influenced by, so its all good).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member

midnight in san juan is a smooth jazz type song. there is a live version on youtube that is similar to the original.

i really enjoy smooth jazz, especially with guitar and/or saxophone.

pab

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A couple of Yes tunes you might try: Mood for a Day and the Clap.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

'Angie', by Bert Jansch is a nice song.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Damn :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: my long post just didn't submit, so here's a quick redo..........

Thanks for the suggestions, smooth jazz sounds v. good to me, and the Yes tunes Noteboat suggested are also great (Yes and 70's supergroups form a large hole in my knowledge of 20th Century music knowledge so it'll be worth it just to listen to them closely, but as Noteboat suggested them, I'm fairly certain I will end up learning them, lol).

Bert Jansh's 'Angie' is actually a cover of Davey Graham's 'Anji' but he changed the spelling of the title (no idea why) - learned both versions years aback and now improv a mixture of both and my own stuff, depending on my mood. Thanks for posting it though, Bert Jansh is bloody brilliant (the 2002 On The Edge of a Dream has some great tracks, btw).

Pls keep posting suggestions and when I'm better (been in bed all day with food poisoning :twisted: ) I'll probs update the first post to list all suggestions and any links to youtube vids I find in my search. I'll also add mp3 tracks later of me playing any tunes I learn. The list might be useful for others looking for tunes to learn, and saves ppl having to read through the chit chat iif they just want some quick suggestions. Any 'new' arranements I might do of suggested tunes, I'll either post a link to a tab/score file on here, or send it to the GN powers that be, for inclusion in their lessons bit if its anygood.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Learn the intro to Free Bird. Some joker'll holler out as a request.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote