Clear all

acoustic tougher than elec?

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well after two months of never playing my acoustic I picked it up today to find it sounds lifeless lacked sustain and hard to fret. My fingers were sore in no time at all. It appears that the electric is so much easier to play that my calluses have softened quite a bit. Also the fretting of barre chords seems very difficult and many strings sound dead or muted. Is it just me or does a person have to keep at the acoustic to keep up finger strength etc. Just curious
Robbie

(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member

happened to me like that too. give play on your acoustic for a few days and it will feel normal. then when you go back to your electric, its like woah

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you need a new set of strings also.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Sounds like you need a new set of strings also.
+1 And a setup too maybe...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I avoid losing touch with either of my guitars :)

In order to keep my technique and finger strength up to speed I play both the electric and acoustic everyday 8)

The electric is easier to play and use barre chords due to the strings being smaller in diameter.

The acoustic will have a different tone/sustain - Just think how you can control both with the electric guitar/amplifier/effects pedal, etc.

Love the acoustic for its consistency and how it sounds - Love the electric for it's flexibility and ease of play.

Enjoy Life
:!:
BS

ReplyQuote
(@jay_ashcroft)
Trusted Member

I don't neccessarily think either is easier to play, just different. Acoustics seem hard to fret at first, but after a while it just becomes second nature. Depends on your guitar. Takamine released a range of acoustics for electric players, they are dream to play, jsut like playng electric. Although fretting is easier on electric you have to learn to control feedback on stage, something most people forget when playing in their rooms.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Personally I think it depends on the way the acoustic is built...my acoustic has a neck very similar to that of an electric guitar and the action (well for what little action I can play!!) very similar...

My difficulty lies with the body of the acoustic...when I practice I am always sitting and since the body of the electric is so much thinner than the acoustic its easy to see everything...but the acoustic is so thick that I sometimes feel I have to extend my neck over the body just to see the strings!!

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

...but the acoustic is so thick that I sometimes feel I have to extend my neck over the body just to see the strings!!

And heaven forbid you have a dreadnought DREADNOUGHT!!! :wink:

And worse........being a little OVERWEIGHT and playing a dreadnought!!! :lol:

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I don't neccessarily think either is easier to play, just different. Acoustics seem hard to fret at first, but after a while it just becomes second nature.

My accoustic is easier to fret than my electric.

Of course, I have really heavy flat wound strings and high action on my electric so that I can bend like a madman when I need to.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Personally I think it depends on the way the acoustic is built...my acoustic has a neck very similar to that of an electric guitar and the action (well for what little action I can play!!) very similar...

My difficulty lies with the body of the acoustic...when I practice I am always sitting and since the body of the electric is so much thinner than the acoustic its easy to see everything...but the acoustic is so thick that I sometimes feel I have to extend my neck over the body just to see the strings!!

Try a Carvin CC275 / AC275 Electric acoustic. body is less than 2" thick and plays like a dream. Has an electric neck, and low action and is a hollow body. Plays great, I just got one and love this guitar.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I wish 300m! But at almost $1000 I'll just have to passright now!! LOL

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Yea, I did drop a bit. Closet to 12 on the CC275 with case and shipping.
But the wife did give me the go for this. :)

John M

ReplyQuote
(@symon)

Well, I have a Squire Strat for my electric, and I like the way it feels. Sure, it's bottom of the line for a decent electric, but I like it better than my friend's 800 dollar electric.

As for acoustic, I have a Heater classical guitar. It's action is horribly tough, and the neck is as wide as my finger (and I have decent sized hands). I rarely even play my classical anymore.

However, if you get a nice Ibanez acoustic, they have the best feel for any acoustic ever. Not to mention my favorite sound for an acoustic.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/vodelight/sig.png

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

but the acoustic is so thick that I sometimes feel I have to extend my neck over the body just to see the strings!!

That is something that should be trying not to do. You can't have good posture if you are doing that and you won't gain good muscle memory either.

Muscle memory is for your chord formations but, it also applies to string distance, fret board awareness and other things.

I'm not saying it's the worst habit you could have but, I think that is something you might want to work on.

Just a thought........

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

necks vary in the use, but most electrics are 1.7" wide, acoustics are 1 11/16 - 1 3/4 wide, with some nylons at 1 7/8" classical's are 2"wide at the nut, very different feel from my Taylor that I think is nice and I like the sound.

John M

ReplyQuote