Adding that extra something

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 J123
(@j123)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking to take my playing to the next level. The difference between an ok player and an amazing player given the same chord progression seems to be the following things:

- interesting rhythms
- bass runs
- pentatonic fills

There are a couple more items ive witnessed but don't know what they are called.

Is there a book, webpage, dvd or anything out there that can teach me these techniques? Things that would spice up my playing?

(@dneck)
Prominent Member

- interesting rhythms
- bass runs
- pentatonic fills

I would disagree with you there, that defines an ok player.

An amazing player uses

Intresting rhythms (you were dead on this one, rhythm is very imprtant, might use a syncopated rhythm)

Pentatonic scales, actually an amazing player would cringe at 90% of pentatonic scale usage, why not use the 2 most interesting notes?

Bass runs, not sure what you mean, I figured maybe you mean like a G run in a bluegrass setting, that is kind of important. I wouldn't call this a deciding factor.

Amazing players can instantly play their musical thoughts, and they think their music before they play it. They have experience in all styles of music and can instantly fit in with any setting.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

You could try here. http://www.wholenote.com/ There are a lot of useful lessons on that site and its all free.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

http://www.marktiarra.com/music/guitar_lessons.html This site is free and explains things pretty well

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I think the best players play simple when they need to, but are also able to throw out some impressive leads too: I'm a fan of alot of blues/rock players like this. It takes alot of listening and practicing, I'm not even close to being on par with my favorite guitarists.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Chris Thile is my favorite mandolin player, this is a very depressing person to compare yourself to. His last CD got reviewed "Mandolin players despair!" haha

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I think the best players play simple when they need to, but are also able to throw out some impressive leads too: I'm a fan of alot of blues/rock players like this. It takes alot of listening and practicing, I'm not even close to being on par with my favorite guitarists.

And the amazing players roll out something so simple you think "I could do that" and then you find it ain't quite so simple as it looks

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

And the amazing players roll out something so simple you think "I could do that" and then you find it ain't quite so simple as it looks

Best,

A :-)

One of the 'best' explanations of an amazing player. The little extra that goes to make 'that' note perfect is what makes you a great one. That's why you don't find many Gilmour or B B King around.

Good Luck and keep playing.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Boy, this is tough. If you could simply analyze what makes a great or amazing player, then we could all be amazing players.

To me, the super great players seem to have two things:

1) Fantastic phrasing. The great players make their guitar almost talk to you. It really is very similar to the human voice in phrasing and inflection. They play with tremendous dynamics.

2) The ability to hit the right note at the perfect time. The players who really amaze me do not play a million notes, no, just the opposite. They play very few notes that are carefully selected. Man, you want to hear more!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Ain't that the truth. :D

One of the things that the good players of any kind appear to have is the ability to seem like they have more time than the rest of us.... :? I used to like to watch the cricketer David Gower batting because he seemed so lazily elegant - like he operated on a different time scale to the rest of us. Always looked like he had all the time in the world to play his shot. So cool to watch... 8)

There's an apparent lack of effort to the sound of great players. A quality of it sounding like it all comes so e a s y to them... Like they're never really rushed, no matter how fast the piece. And it probably does come easier - after tens of thousands of hours perfecting what they do. :)

I know that I can sound better by backing off from top speed and stopping trying to make the guitar shout everything. Just chat away comfortably for a while, and then pick it up a bit when the fingers are up to it.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Boy, this is tough. If you could simply analyze what makes a great or amazing player, then we could all be amazing players.

To me, the super great players seem to have two things:

1) Fantastic phrasing. The great players make their guitar almost talk to you. It really is very similar to the human voice in phrasing and inflection. They play with tremendous dynamics.

2) The ability to hit the right note at the perfect time. The players who really amaze me do not play a million notes, no, just the opposite. They play very few notes that are carefully selected. Man, you want to hear more!
Agreed.

And it sounds a lot like you're describing the blues guitarists to me, Wes. And I have to agree. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I think you'd like the songs of Dinosaur Jr.

Check them out! :)

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote